Monday, January 12, 2015

Prayer of the Woods [ca 1960]

The Prayer of the Woods

This postcard is in excellent unused condition, but isn't as old as many we have been posting. This one is from about 1960, so about 55 years old. We did a little research on the WWW and found that this sign is apparently posted in several places. However, this particular sign, near Yellowstone Park is fairly rare in the online images. We were also unable to determine if the sign is actually in the Park or just near the Silver Gate entrance. In any event, we like the Prayer.




The Prayer of the Woods ---
I am the heat of your hearth on cold winter nights, the friendly shade screening you from the summer sun and my fruits are refreshing draughts quenching your thirst as you journey on. I am the beam that holds your house, the board of your table, the bed on which you lie and the timber that holds your boat. I am the handle of your hoe, the door of your homestead, the wood of your cradle and the shell of your coffin. I am the bread of kindness and the flower of beauty. Ye who pass by, listen to my prayer; harm me not.
                                                                               from the Portuguese

Thank you for stopping by John's Island.

10 comments:

  1. I guess the wood in the woods does all those things. I also like the plants, the ferns, the birds, the wild animals, none of which I would harm, either. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, that is such a lovely poem to share on this Monday morning. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely prayer. My husband is a woodworker so he likes it too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful, complete prayer. Thank you so much for sharing this, John.

    ReplyDelete

Questions, Compliments, and/or Suggestions: If you ask a question, please check back here, on the blog, for an answer within, usually, a day or two. Thank you in advance for compliments. I’ll try to keep an open mind about suggestions. All comments are moderated. Please note: Comments with active links will not be published. Comments with an inactive link are probably okay.

Picturesque Scenery - 1910

Souvenir Folder - Picturesque Scenery Souvenir Folder Picturesque Scenery along the line of Great Northern Railroad, Montana, Idaho, and Was...