Friday, July 31, 2015

USS Boxer Tour and More

As we posted yesterday, Seafair 2015 is underway in Seattle. Part of the celebration includes Navy vessels in port and open for public tours. The USS Boxer, LHD4, is docked right in front of our location so we took a free tour and found it fascinating.

Overview photo showing USS Boxer docked at Pier 90
Port of Seattle
Elliott Bay Marina behind.
Tour of the USS Boxer on July 30, 2015 ...


Walking up to the ship -- the size is impressive!

Interior -- Displays for Public Viewing

Chopper fits inside ... actually, SEVERAL choppers will fit!
Moving them in and out is interesting.




Interior spaces are BIG!

Builders Plate

These were described to us as "training tools"

Youngsters loved the displays. Oldsters did too!

Cargo on yet another deck lower.

Flight Deck
The Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey can take off vertically.

Pilot briefs the tour group.



Perfect blue sky summer day in Puget Sound

Can't help but be impressed with flight deck size!


Back home, later in the afternoon, the Boxer casts a big shadow and
the glare of the sun reflects off Puget Sound.

Other recent photos around the Sound ...

CMA CGM FAUST arrives in port July 30th.

Evergreen EVER EXCEL departing for the Pacific on
July 30th.

Nearly full moon about to set ... reddish sky
above is from sunrise in the east.
Thank you for stopping by John's Island.

Special Note to visitors from the EU:  You will see a note that Google uses cookies. This is now required by law in the EU. I am not a lawyer but since I don't sell or advertise anything on my blog I don't think the cookies will make any difference. Google uses the cookies to taylor ads for you. Thanks for your understanding.

21 comments:

  1. oh, those evening scenes are beautiful. i like all the flags displayed, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating! We toured a small navel ship many years ago,but one this size would be even more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I would love to have toured the ship!! Fascinating indeed and I, too, love all the flags and your evening scenes are wonderful!! Thanks so much for sharing, John!! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, John, this is an incredible tour. Thank you for the interesting pictures and the explanation. Did you know that the moon is a blue one?? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, these are awesome images. The tour of the ship sounds like fun! Thanks for sharing your visit. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All lovely shots John. I especially love the photo of the full moon. The tour looks and sounds spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All lovely shots John. I especially love the photo of the full moon. The tour looks and sounds spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I missed the boxer the first time I looked at the photo. I had to go back to find it. It's huge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the reflection of the moonlight on the water in the last photo. The tour of the USS Boxer looks very interesting. My uncle was in the navy and tells us a bit about the ships he served on when we can talk him into it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to have a tour of a ship, John! I have never see a ship before (well, I have seen a couple at our Montreal's Old Port) , but never inside. I would love to have an opportunity to, though. I love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to have a tour of a ship, John! I have never see a ship before (well, I have seen a couple at our Montreal's Old Port) , but never inside. I would love to have an opportunity to, though. I love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A great tour, John, with interesting images and text.
    So beautiful the landscape with the full moon.
    Many thanks for your always nice comments on my blog, have a pleasant weekend.
    Pietro

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow lots a great photos. That flag is HUGE!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the nice boxer tour John :))
    It's size is really impressive!
    And I really love your last picture, it
    has such nice and soft colours :)

    Have a beautiful weekend!
    Möwe

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for this beautiful photos, John. I love them and it's so interesting. Never seen such a large ship and never been on it. But through your photos It seems I was a moment on and in the ship :-)

    Love the moon-photo.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful to see, John. I especially love your last photo!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for this grand tour of so much history. Very enjoyable. Never been to Seattle.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, I wish I could see that ship! So large!

    http://stuureenkaart.blogspot.nl/

    ReplyDelete

Questions, Compliments, and/or Suggestions: If you ask a question, please check back here, on the blog, for an answer within, usually, a day or two. Thank you in advance for compliments. I’ll try to keep an open mind about suggestions. All comments are moderated. Please note: Comments with active links will not be published. Comments with an inactive link are probably okay.

For Critter Friends

  A Post for My Critter Friends Have you discovered the trove of treasures within YouTube? In my journey of exploration through the digita...