Saturday, July 20, 2024

Glacier Park 1925

A Souvenir Folder
Glacier National Park
on the Great Northern Railway
- Postmarked May 22, 1925 -


Thanks for stopping by. Take a moment from your busy summer to enjoy a look at Glacier National Park. Record heat has been the issue in Seattle lately and that set me looking through my collection to find something that might put some cooler thoughts in mind. Glacier Park seems to hit the spot. I wonder if the original recipient of this little folder, in 1925, made it to the Park in that year. We'll never know who that was, as it turns out, since someone, somewhere, along the line, decided to erase the addressee. Irregardless, I can say this:  The 2-cent postage was a deal!

Here are the images, which were also published individually as postcards ...

Trick Falls, on Two Medicine River

Click on the images to view a larger version.  Please feel free to download the images for your personal use. The copyright on all these images has expired and the images are now in the Public Domain.

Ice Berg Lake

Maybe you are wondering if Ice Berg is correct, or should it be Iceberg? I thought this would be a good opportunity to ask AI (Artificial Intelligence).  Here is the way that went ...

Me: Was it ever proper to write the word "iceberg" as two words "ice berg"?

AI: No, it has never been standard practice to write the word "iceberg" as two separate words ("ice berg"). The term "iceberg," referring to a large floating mass of ice detached from a glacier or ice sheet and carried out to sea, has consistently been written as a single word since it entered the English language in the early 19th century. The word originates from the Dutch word "ijsberg," which is also written as a single word.

Of course, AI is only as smart as what it has been taught. (True for humans, as well. ðŸ˜Š) I did a little research on my own and could not find this postcard on Google. However, I found plenty of others with the spelling “Iceberg”.  So, my guess is, the one who produced this postcard took a little “artistic liberty.”

Josephine Lake
I especially like the reflections in the card above and one below.

Two Medicine Lake

McDermott and Josephine Lakes

Many Glacier Hotel
Known today as Glacier Park Lodge.

St. Mary's Lake from Baring Creek

Forest Lobby, Glacier Park Hotel

When you see images, like the one above, of the hotel lobby, as it appeared about 100 years ago, you may wonder what it looks like today ... if it's still there. Well, it is still there, and it is now called Glacier Park Lodge lobby. Thanks to Wikipedia and the Internet we can see a 2010 image ...

"Forest Lobby" via Wikipedia
Image by Acroterion

If you download the 2010 image (using the Acroterion link above) and zoom in, there's lots of detail to enjoy. I can see that the dining room, at the end of the lobby, is still called the Great Northern.

Belton Chalets, Western Entrance to Park

1. Chief White Antelope
2. Chief Three Bears
3. Chief Gambler
4. Chief Medicine Owl
5. Chief Lazy Boy
6. Chief Two Guns White Calf
7. Chief Fish Wolf Robe

Lastly, the 7 Chiefs ... Since I am one who loves trains, and a fan of railroad history, I would like to think that the images of Native Americans were included as a way to honor them. However, some research revealed images often depicted Native Americans to evoke a sense of adventure and the exotic. This romanticized view of the West was intended to attract settlers, tourists, and investors by portraying the region as a land of opportunity and excitement.

Things at John's Island have been busy and I haven't put much time on the blog. I decided that the USA Birthday cake had been up long enough, so I hope you enjoy this post.

For all of you out there in the Northern Hemisphere, I hope you're having a good summer. (And those in the Southern, winter 😊) Thanks for stopping by.


27 comments:

  1. So nice to see the old and new pictures of the hotel lobby! It hasn't changed much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...John, you must have a HUGE postcard collection! Take care and be well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the old postcards and your research into them. Yes, it's good to think about iceberg, or ice bergs, just now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me encantan esas fotos antiguas es como retroceder en el tiempo. Mis favoritas son las dos primeras. Me gusto tu pastel es muy grande.

    ReplyDelete
  5. +I'm not sure how popular Glacier National Park is today. It's great that the saved the lodge and beautiful lobby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello John,
    Glacier National Parks was one of my favorites, along with Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. The vintage postcards are a wonderful memorabilia.
    Some of the scenes I have seen during my visit many years ago. The lodge is beautiful! I hope your busy times are fun times. Take care, enjoy your day and have a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It’s always a pleasure for us, John, when you are able to retrieve these interesting items from your collection. I am sure many of us would love to spend time poring through it. I wonder too about ice berg and iceberg. Perhaps both versions are acceptable, despite what AI intuits, but I am quite sure that “irregardless” is wrong! It is either “irrespective” or “regardless” not a mixture of the two! All the best - David

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing the glaciers on such a hot, humid day. Love those old postcards.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always love your reminiscences of times gone by. This was especially wonderful and even a little bit COOL. Thank you, John. I will spend some time going back and looking at them larger. Virtual hug!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great old images, in sepia tones. We have to imagine the beautiful colors missing in these cards. The lobby shots of then and now are intriguing. I am a big fan of all national parks, and enjoyed seeing Glacier back in the 70s. Love the header of Seattle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all those old postcards. I have seen Ice Berg printed as two words in other places. My late brother absolutely loved trains. We lived on top of a mountain and we could hear them in the valley on cold winter nights-the train horn sounds would waft upwards on the wind.
    I live in Green Bay WI and we have the National Railroad Museum here with working trains. My brother went there every time he visited from PA.
    Have a wonderful upcoming week. Diana

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice photos. The railroad hired Native Americans to promote the myth of the Wild West, even to invent Indian names for landmarks within the park. But also, according to an administrative history of the park: "George Bird Grinnell and James Willard Schultz are responsible for the predominance of Indian names given to many of the peaks on the eastern side of the park prior to 1900. Dr. George C. Ruhle in 1938 and 1939 also renamed many of the park features with either their original Indian names or names that honored some particular Indian." (https://www.nps.gov/parkhistory/online_books/glac/appa.htm/)

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow the series of glacier park and it's stunning breathtaking lakes made me speechless dear John :)
    i absolutely loved the images you shared here and they are so beautiful .yes reflection in the water adds more magic always to the photos :)
    i too truly adored the addition of natives Americans photo ,i think they deserved to be here as the area belonged to them back then .
    i know that nice weather is providing you for many wonderful opportunities for walks and other adventures and we reader will be gifted many new fresh series of amazing photos soon so i am waiting patiently :)
    best wishes for all you doing these days friend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Reading your story and seeing your photos brought me back to "cool" Glacier National Park! The many lakes, the waterfalls and then the icebergs at Iceberg Lake always made me feel cool on those hot summer days when I hiked there. Thank You for virtually taking me back there! Your postcard collection of Glacier National Park is very special!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry I haven't stopped by sooner. I think the wild west was romanticized too much, and settlers had the wrong impression when they started their journey resulting in many deaths. Indians were never treated well unless they looked civilized in our clothing style. Even then they were only barely accepted. Anyway... I think the photo was to make it appear exotic. I can see why travelers would be enticed to visit this place after looking at the photos. The lobby of the lodge looks grand with that high ceiling. I remember looking at a few souvenir folders my grandparents had when I was a child. I don't think they ever visited any of the places. Purchasing them was the next best thing to being there. I hope you are doing well. It has cooled off here, and we have been in the right place at the right time to have had a few thunderstorms come over us and soak the ground. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Some very nice historic post cards there John

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are some treasures, John! And they brought back some wonderful memories of the time we spent in Glacier NP. We saw a lot of wildlife there (esp. Mountain Goats, BIghorn Sheep and bears as well as heard wolves howling), the beautiful wildflowers at the hanging gardens and we also did a 12 mile hike that took the entire day and was ended with a skinny dip in a pond at the foot of a waterfall. Yes, the lobby of the Glacier Park Lodge still looks the same and is truly impressive. Thank you for this trip down memory lane! Hugs - Carola

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing these wonderful vintage postcards of Glacier National Park.
    Your AI inquiry about "Ice Berg" was interesting, and I enjoyed the blend of history and modern tech.
    The reflections in the Josephine Lake postcard are stunning, and it’s nice to see that Glacier Park Lodge has maintained its charm.

    Wishing you a great summer, John!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello John
    Many thanks for sharing these vintage postcards ... lovely to see them.

    With the month of July almost gone, I send early good wishes for August.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  20. The photos you share always give me pause. And really think about how others live their lives, whether from a different generation, race, or culture. I wonder what the future generation think about all the silly selfies the will see. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful postcards.
    Intelligence is still fueled by people
    it will certainly have mistakes.
    Nice to read your blog.
    Janice.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello John :=)
    It's been a while, 3 months break in fact, so I am catching up with my blog friend's posts. Your collection of vintage post cards are always
    interesting to see, and the views are spectacular. All the different lakes are so beautiful and I now have a vivid idea of what the glaciers look like. I'm impressed by the height of the hotel ceiling, it gives a sense of grandeur and it really hasn't changed all that much.Thank you for sharing your post card collection, it is the only way I can experience the beauty of the Glacier National Park.
    All the best
    Sonjia.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fantastic way to cool down from the record heat! Glacier National Park always seems to bring a refreshing perspective. The images of Trick Falls and Ice Berg Lake are beautiful reminders of nature’s wonders. It’s intriguing to think about who the original recipient might have been and whether they ever visited the park. Thanks for sharing these charming glimpses into the past!

    I have just shared a new blog post and I would love for you to check it out and give me your feedback on www.melodyjacob.com. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  24. ...John, you have a wonderful hobby collecting and researching the National Parks. Our part of the country wound up with the short stick, when it came to National Parks. Thanks foir stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Pasaba a desearte un genial mes. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello Dear Friend,
    I loved reading your post. I probably say that every time because it's always true. They are so interesting. I have never been to Glacier State Park, since it's not that far away I guess I don't have an excuse, other than traveling is not fun when done alone. And when I'm riding in the car now I'm driving and I prefer being the passenger. You get to see so much more of the country when you're the passenger.
    Your little trip down "Iceberg" Lane was interesting as well. The internet is wonderful for answering our questions. Remember when we had to have a whole set of encyclopedias on our shelves. My Mom and Dad were never financially able to buy us encyclopedias so we were always at the library writing our school reports.
    I hope you're having a lovely summer.

    Your east of the mountains friend, Connie

    ReplyDelete

Questions, Compliments, and/or Suggestions: If you ask a question, please check back here, on the blog, for an answer within, usually, a day or two. Thank you in advance for compliments. I’ll try to keep an open mind about suggestions. All comments are moderated. Please note: Comments with active links will not be published. Comments with an inactive link are probably okay.

Blueberry Time

Mid-Summer Report Blueberry Stand in Seattle For years I've been buying blueberries at the Spooner Berry Farms stand in Seattle. The Spo...