Tuesday, August 13, 2024

Blueberry Time

Mid-Summer Report

Blueberry Stand in Seattle

For years I've been buying blueberries at the Spooner Berry Farms stand in Seattle. The Spooner farm is located near Olympia, Washington, about 65 miles south of Seattle. During blueberry season they pick the berries very early in the morning and deliver them to the stand you see above by about 9AM. They sell out daily, usually before noon. These are the sweetest, freshest blueberries I've found in the Seattle area. August is the prime month for blueberries.




Late July and early August snaps ...

Starting point for waterfront walks.
Locals refer to this spot as "the steps".
A quick pic here records the sky conditions
for the day's walk.
[Click on images to enjoy the larger view.]

All flower pics are snaps taken while on my walks.
This is a White Dahlia.
The pink edges were just beautiful.

Chicory.
Info on the internet tells me Chicory is
the root of wellness. I need to do more
research on that.

Purple Coneflower

Roses in the Rose Garden
Elliott Bay in the background.
Bainbridge Island in the far distance.

A wild Rose just starting to open up.

Cirsium / Thistle
Don't miss the Lady Bug

Found this on Facts.net ...
"When it comes to fascinating plants, Cirsium is definitely a top contender. This diverse genus of thistle plants is known for its unique characteristics and stunning beauty. From its intricate blooms to its prickly leaves, Cirsium has captured the attention of botanists, gardeners, and nature enthusiasts around the world." Elsewhere, when trying to get more info on this pretty plant, I found it called Canadian Thistle and also California Thistle. Not sure if those are actually different plants OR just named differently based on where they are found.

The Lupin story ...

The setting wasn't particularly attractive but the 
blooms were, when I snapped this picture of
Lupin in June. Nature has an amazing way of
turning the blooms into seeds. See next photo.

A Lupin creates a lot of seeds.
Upper right ... close up of an unopened seed pod
Lower right ... A pod with one seed left


Worth Sharing ...

I'm adding a new segment of things worth sharing to my blog posts. Today I'm sharing tips for keeping cut flowers fresh. 

Background story:  Each and every single day I get a bunch of marketing emails. I'll bet you do too. Marketing emails are sent, usually, by some business or person you've purchased from online, or even from some website you've visited and allowed them to collect cookies which identify you and reveal your interests. Unless you're really careful with your online connection, you're leaving cookies all over the internet. There are ways to block cookies, but that's another story for another time.

Getting back to marketing emails ... they usually start with a catch. It's sort of like fishing ... you put bait on the hook and the fish go for the bait. So, daily, I must go through my emails and check them, not going for the bait, before deleting them. A few days ago, one email started with Tips for Keeping Cut Flowers Fresh. There is no doubt in my mind that the email came from some place that knows I enjoy flowers. So, I read through the email and thought, this is really good and worth sharing. The bait got me, however I didn't fall for the sale. The question becomes, can I share the tips without the links to purchase the product? The way I look at this, they put the tips right there for me, so there shouldn't be any reason for me not to share with others.  Enjoy.

"Tips for Keeping Cut Flowers Fresh

Summer is bursting with fragrant, colorful flowers. But unfortunately, those beautiful blooms you clipped from your home garden or snagged from a local farmer’s market won’t last forever. Here are seven tips you should try to keep your cut flowers fresh for as long as possible.

1. Cut flowers in the morning (except during hot weather).
2. Use a clean vase.
3. Avoid submerging any foliage in the water.
4. Change the water every day.
5. Keep your flowers away from direct sunlight.
6. Don’t put your flowers near any fruit.
7. Add aspirin to the water."

Now, in reflection, I was aware (more or less) of most of these tips, except for add aspirin to the water.  A little research on the web revealed this:  "Some claim that putting aspirin—and it must be aspirin, and not another pain reliever—in the water can help your cut flowers stay fresh. The drug is a form of acetylsalicylic acid, which lowers the water’s pH and may help the plants absorb water better. Simply crush a couple of aspirin pills and put them in a vase filled with water before adding your blooms." Let me know if you appreciate stuff like this.



Skies ...

Sunset August 8, 2024
FINALLY, the sun is setting early enough for me to 
snap a picture before I go to bed. 😊
Sunsets during summer's Daylight Saving Time are
crazy late (in my humble opinion) here in
Seattle. At our latitude, there is so much daylight in
the summer, the last thing we need is DST!


June 25, 2024  5:42AM
The phase of the moon was Waning Gibbous
An unusually clear sky allowed this shot.


An unusual scene for me: A rainbow over
Puget Sound.  June 16, 2024  6:25AM


It's always hard for me to resist snapping a pic of Mt Rainier.
Take a look at the larger view ... do you see the face at the top?
This particular view is looking across Elliott Bay from the
waterfront trail.
 


Critters ...


Great Blue Heron

A member of the family of seabirds known as Laridae.

Gulls are members of a large, widespread family of seabirds known as Laridae. Often known as seagulls, though no species is actually called a seagull, and many are found far from the sea.  Gulls are intelligent, adaptable and often beautiful birds.

I believe this is a White Crowned Sparrow
spotted in the Rose Garden.

The little Sparrow moved out of the grass for a better view.

Apologies for the quality of this photo. This is a hummer
who frequents my feeder on my deck. The photo is taken
through a window. This is a female Anna's Hummingbird
I had watched for a while. She would rest at this spot keeping
an eye on the feeder. When a competitor arrived, she would
chase the other hummer away and then return to this
spot to continue guarding her territory. This is
common behavior for hummingbirds. And, yes, she looks
a little rough ... a fighter? 😉


Google Lens tells me this is an Eastern Cottontail.
And she/he does look like the examples shown on Wikipedia.
So I ask, what's an Eastern Cottontail doing on the
Western Edge of the Continent?
Shall we just go with RABBIT?
In any event, this bunny was busy dining on the green plant
and was not disturbed by my presence.  

Linking up with Saturday's Critters


Ships Spotted ...

I enjoy watching ships come and go here at the
Port of Seattle.  Most passenger ships arrive early
morning ... just about dawn. 

Cruise companies spare little expense to
create a unique appearance. 

This is a Wallenius Wilhelmsen Ro-Ro departing, probably
heading to Asia. Ro-Ro is short for Roll On - Roll Off.
These ships carry vehicles.

I no longer try to photo all the private yachts that appear
near the Elliott Bay Marina. Yes, there are a lot of them!
The economy is doing really well for some folks.
I like this one because it carries along a helicopter.
Need some fresh eggs for breakfast?  Send your 
pilot to pick some up.

Coastal Standard
Identified online as a Refrigeration Vessel
Zoomed in on Captain's image -- top right.

The "fast" passenger-only service between Seattle and
Victoria, BC, Canada.  Known as the Victoria Clipper.

Using parts of the Grain Terminal to frame up a
cruise ship as it appears while I'm walking the
waterfront trail.

Every 4th of July I might as well sit out on my deck
and watch all the fireworks. (I say "might as well" because
there sure isn't going to be any peaceful sleeping!)
The big Seattle fireworks show is on Lake Union, which
I cannot see. However there are plenty of displays
around Elliott Bay and nearby towns, like Bremerton.
This particular shot is a burst in a nearby neighborhood.
Looking closely, you can see the shadow of the 
Olympic Mountains in the distance.



Closing thought ...


Thanks to Jean Wagner for this bit of wisdom.

Thanks for stopping by!

24 comments:

  1. Wow you covered a lot here!! I've forgotten half of what I was going to comment on. :). I'll just say great photos, beautiful, flowers, and interesting information!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much to appreciate and enjoy here. Blooms, blueberries, birds and boats! Love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here we say Canada thistle. You've covered a lot of territory in this . I enjoy the harbor and ship photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a quick note, John, to let you know I read and enjoyed this post. We are away in Algonquin Provinical Park, where our internet connection is very spotty, and besides, the great outdoors is awaiting us! All the best - David

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I clicked on your blog and saw you had a "Mid-Summer Report" post, I topped up my coffee to savour while I virtually strolled along with you to see all those beautiful sights!

    The thistle is a weed here in Calgary. Numerous times over the past number of years, the City Parks People brought in a herd of goats to eat the thistles in a designated area. The goats and their shepherd stay in a particular park for a couple of weeks. I have seen them three times at three local parks.

    I keep googling the Victoria Clipper seeing if I want to incorporate a trip from Victoria to Seattle in September for a couple of nights near the waterfront and then back to Victoria. I did a day boat ride to Port Angeles from Victoria last September and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed every part of this post, John. Your pictures are wonderful, especially enjoyed the flowers. And the tidbit about aspirin in your cut flowers, which I didn't know. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a delightful post dear John!
    Full of nature 's wonderful gifts :)
    Blue berry juice must be very delicious.
    Loved each pretty flower!!!♥️
    Birds are stunning and you capture them so beautifully
    Moon looks Divine
    Sunset is lovely
    Sky shots are uplifting always
    Amazing ship snaps . the first one is truly Master piece!
    Thanks for mentioning that extra emails come because of the cookies.
    Also thanks for the tips for cut flowers though I hardly pluck any

    Nice closing thought
    More blessings to you and family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I'll say it again your posts are always so interesting and your photos are beautiful. I had blueberries for breakfast this morning and I put 42 cups in my freezer a couple weeks ago. I love adding them to my oatmeal in the winter :) and they are so good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aspirin in the vase of fresh flowers - now, that was new to me as well, John. The rest of the tips I knew, and I don't have Aspirin in the house anyway. I guess I just go on as I always did...
    Those blueberries look so delicious. I can get them at the farmers market, but I haven't bought any this year. I remember how my brother and I in the early 70's were picking blueberries in Sweden. Many of the berries directly went into our mouth. We brought the rest home and my mom put sugar on them - that completely spoilt the berries for me. She did that with strawberries as well. I really prefer - and always have - just the pure berry taste.
    I miss those long long light summer hours, and other than you I love Daylight Saving Time. Since we are way further South than Seattle, our daylight hours are shorter and I love those long summer evenings. On the other hand, our winter daylight hours are longer than in Seattle, and that is really nice (in my opinion - I just love light).
    Your critter photos are lovely. I observe a similar behaviour in our hummingbirds as well and also find these tiny birds highly entertaining.
    When we were on Vancouver Island and stayed in a place close to the water, we saw a couple cruiseships passing by and I was always wondering why someone would enjoy this kind of traveling. Well, I guess there are a lot of people who do - it's just not my way. The only cruise I ever did in my life was on the Nile in Egypt, and those boats were very low key, small and the traveling was delightful. But these big are monstrous!
    I hope you have future walks that you will enjoy at the waterfront! Hugs - Carola

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello. Wonderful post. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello John,
    A wonderful post, you covered some of my favorite things. I love all the flowers and thanks for the tips on keeping flowers fresh. The Blueberries are a favorite, I love adding them to my yogurt. You have a beautiful variety of birds, the hummingbird is a favorite! The bunny is a cutie. Great captures of the ships, what a life to have a yacht with a helicopter. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and a happy new week. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your summer adventures look amazing! Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ...yep, summer is a "berry" nice time of year. You sure have many fabulous sights to enjoy and I thank you taking me along to see the sights.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't have to worry about slowing down! haha! I'm going pretty slow already and wish I could pick up my pace! I love the ships and did not know about putting aspirin in fresh cut flowers. You've given me lots to think about this morning. Thank you! Happy Sunday my friend. (if I walked with you, would you slow your pace? heehee)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My foot has bothered me but it is feeling better now. I think I can keep up now! It would be fun to walk with you and see these beautiful sights! Happy weekend my friend!

      Delete
  15. My husband is good at keeping the flowers he give me fresh. I love blueberries, John. And I know they have lots of health benefits. But they're really expensive here since we don't grow it. So I seldom buy. I hope I can visit a farm soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello John
    I'm stopping by to say thank you for your kind thoughts and condolences on Eddies passing.

    I do hope to get back to regular blogging soon.
    In the meantime, my thanks again to you.

    All the best Jan

    PS As always great variety on your post, thank you.
    I always enjoy blueberries :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello John :)
    So sorry it has taken me so long to get here. I don't know how I missed your post, but I did, however I'm here now and have enjoyed your very varied post. I buy Blueberries to add to my cereal, or yogurt, I love the juice too and know they are beneficial to my health as well as tasting so delicious. Lovely shots of the flowers. I did know about the aspirin as a Dutch friend of mine gifted me with a beautiful bunch of Tulips, but when the wrapping was taken away they drooped over and didn't look very nice in a vase. My friend said that if I added two aspirin to the water, by morning they would be standing tall and proud. I did what she advised and was astonished at the result. The next morning the Tulips stood upright and looked fresh and beautiful It is a fantastic tip John, which I have used many times since. I love the shots of the White Crowned Sparrow, Bunny, and feisty territorial Hummingbird, using behaviour that I have witnessed with other birds. but somehow you don't usually associate this kind of behaviour with a tiny Hummer.
    Lovely sky shots, and the yacht with helicopter was an interesting photo, and your closing quote made me smile, because I am already slow, and get slower with each passing year, but I'm alive, and enjoy life as much as I can at a slow pace.
    All the best
    Sonjia.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your blueberry spot sounds like a hidden gem! Spooner Berry Farms must be a real treat for blueberry enthusiasts. And your photos are stunning—from the vibrant white dahlia to the charming wild rose and the intriguing chicory. I’m particularly captivated by the thistle and the ladybug! Your walks seem full of beautiful discoveries.

    Read my new blog post: https://www.melodyjacob.com/2024/08/best-ways-to-style-pink-shorts-for-chic-spring-summer-look.html Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Me gustan los arándonos y los conejos. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  20. ...John, those blueberries look delicious! Chicory is one of my favorite wildflowers, here they line the shoulders of the backroads. Lupines are fabulous, but I wish that we had more of them. I get so many emails, most I just dump and never open. August 8th was a wonderful evening. Ships are a subject matter that I rarely get to photograph and I'm still waitiing for my ship to come in! Take care and be well.

    ReplyDelete
  21. One image more beautiful than the other.
    Happy start to the month of September.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love good blueberries!! Our season is way past. I love your ships on the waterfront photos. Great blue herons seem to be all over the country.
    Take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a delightful post!
    Your description of the blueberry stand made me wish I was in Seattle to taste those fresh berries—nothing beats locally picked fruit!
    I loved your photos, especially the chicory and thistle.
    Nature is full of such unexpected beauty!
    Also, your flower tips were fascinating—I'd never heard about adding aspirin to the water before.
    Thanks for sharing such a wonderful mix of nature, helpful advice, and a bit of local charm, John.

    ReplyDelete

Questions, Compliments, and/or Suggestions: If you ask a question, please check back here, on the blog, for an answer within, usually, a day or two. Thank you in advance for compliments. I’ll try to keep an open mind about suggestions. All comments are moderated. Please note: Comments with active links will not be published. Comments with an inactive link are probably okay.

Hello September

 Cut Care Confirmation In my  last post  I gave you 7 tips for keeping cut flowers fresh. Most unusual was #7 ... Add aspirin to the water. ...