UPDATE - October 3, 2026
Not ready to publish a full new post. After many years blogging, I'm slowing down. This post, Recent Favorites, was originally published on September 8, 2026. I'm adding a few new things via this update, October 3, 2026.
The world's largest single mast sailing yacht, originally known as Mirabella V, now known as M5, was in my view the last week of September. A photo seemed necessary for the blog. 😊
I'll include an especially nice sunset on October 2nd in honor of Fall and the new month of October.
I'm happy summer has gone with its heat and smoky skies. Fall is definitely here with cooler days and trees turning to autumn colors. I'll close this update with a photo of downtown taken early in the morning from Kerry Park, a popular Seattle overlook.
Now on to the post as published on September 8th. Thank you to all who have left me kind comments on the post. No need for new comments unless you just want to. Happy Fall!
Hummer
![]() |
| Linking to Saturday's Critters |
![]() |
| Looking across Puget Sound, to the west, I see Bainbridge Island. It's unusual to see clouds forming at ground level. Weather conditions must be just perfect ... and they were on September 2nd. |
![]() |
| The clouds to the west seemed unusual on September 5th. I was so tempted to take this image and add some arrows to point out the face of a dog. Do you see it in the right side of the image? |
On a recent sunny afternoon, I visited a nearby community
garden. It's one of those gardens where community members have a small patch of land where they can grow plants of their choice. I was impressed with the
work my neighbors have done and snapped several pictures. Thought these flowers worth sharing. Nature creates beauty so easily.
![]() |
| September 5th Want to sail around Elliott Bay? Check out Seattle's Tall Ship Sailing Tours |
![]() |
| State Ferry. Probably Seattle - Bremerton Alki Beach/West Seattle in background. |
![]() |
| Evergreen Container Ship departing, July 25th. Evergreen Line Shipping |
![]() |
| ONE Container Ship departing, July 30th One Network Express |
![]() |
| MSC Bianca Silvia arriving, August 22nd MSC Shipping |
![]() |
| Oceania Riviera arriving, July 20th Oceania Cruises |
![]() |
| Tuesday morning, September 8, 2026 from Kerry Park viewpoint. On the right ... Mt Rainier, about 50 miles away. |





















...John, when it come to photographing hummingbirds you put me to shame. The move way to fast for me!!!
ReplyDeleteThe tall ship is really something to see! And the hummer is gorgeous. Someone said they will be migrating South now so I am excited about migratory birds this Fall. Love your post my friend, Diane
ReplyDeleteYou have some good things to watch...skies, ships and birds.
ReplyDeleteYour hummingbird pictures are exquisite, John. They really do justice to the brilliance of the bird and make us all more than a little envious of your prowess. Looks like Shadow and Kaydee are settling in for a long term relationship so the eagle nursery may be active again. There is good news all around in your corner of the world. Very best wishes - David
ReplyDeleteHello John,
ReplyDeleteBeautiful hummingbird photos! I will be sad to see our heading south soon, I only have a few left, most are already gone. The flowers and sky images are a beautiful sight. I was happy to ride on the ferries in Washington state during our travels there. The tall ship is cool to see.
I am glad to hear papa Shadow may have found a new mate. Take care, enjoy your day!
Your photos are always so amazing, John. I especially like the hummingbirds as they are my favorites. They always flit away too quickly for me to catch them on camera!
ReplyDeleteYour hummingbird is handsome! Mine will depart soon and I will miss their antics. Glad to see Shadow may have a new mate. Our local eagle hasn't stopped by our farm for a bit. He is always a joy to see.
ReplyDeleteMany thanks for sharing this lovely selection of photographs, I did enjoy them.
ReplyDeleteSounds good news re Papa Shadow and Kaydee :)
Wishing you happy September days.
All the best Jan
The hummingbirds are absolutely gorgeous. We don't have them here in Western Australia, I love the cloud photos as well. It was extremely sad about Jackie's passing. Shadow wasn't on his own for long as Kaydee has set her sights on him, I am looking forward to watching them raising more eaglets. Really glad you shared the channel on your blog, I now watch the channel daily.
ReplyDeleteJohn, I was excited when I saw that you had posted . . . I love visiting and reading your posts. That hummingbird with the bright pink tiny feathers around its beak is gorgeous and it's easy to see how well it can camouflage itself among the lovely flowers of Seattle.
ReplyDeleteWe used to visit Seattle and down at the piers there was a 90 foot sailboat that took out charters thought-out the day and evening. One time it was very windy 30 to 35 mile an hour winds and my Steve ask the captain why he wasn't out there enoughing the weather. It became a challenge for which we ending up going out and the captain giving Steve the wheel. I have wonderful memories and photos of that day. Steve was in his element and his joy was plastered across his face like a neon sign. 😁 Thanks for bringing that sweet memory back to my mind, something to reminisce on through my day. :)
We don't have hummingbirds here (Sweden) and I did not know they can shift colour like that!
ReplyDeleteI'm so happy to see you linking with the party today. I thought of you when I wrote my post this week. You could have written a fairytale poem, if I know you! Happy weekend! Hugs, Diane
ReplyDeleteGreat post! Love the shots of the local nature. The detail on that hummingbird is fantastic.
ReplyDeleteHello John,
ReplyDeleteWhat a great post! Your hummingbird images are gorgeous.
Great captures of the ships, hubby still talks about our cruise to Alaska from Seattle, his first cruise and he loves Alaska. I am so happy to hear the good news about Shadow finding a new mate, I hope all goes well for the Eagle couple. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and a happy weekend! PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.
What beautiful shots of the lovely hummingbird! I guess they are not easy to catch.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful serie photos. We have a lot of containerships here too. Have a nice day ! Greets
ReplyDeletedear John !
ReplyDeletei truly love your sharing as it makes me feel closer to mother Nature !
humming birds are prettiest birds i believe and you have captured some beautiful photos of humming birds ,so lovely !
we have a couple of humming bird in spring i think and the gorgeous shine of feathers so beautifully you described we see too :) i feel speechless with it's charm :)
i always enjoy your sky and ships shots ! the background added to the ships enhances the glory of images :)
the awesome formation of clouds is incredibly captured ! yes i could see the creature in clouds ,you name it well :)
pretty flowers in your neighbourhood look mesmerising :)
special thanks for updating about the eagle family ! it saddens me that mother is died ,but it is really nice to know that both children are progressing in making nests and learning haunting skills!
best of luck for the shadow :)
thank you for such a rich and fulfilling sharing my friend!
health ,peace and joy to you and family!!!
What a treat to catch that hummingbird sitting still for once! I always think of them as tiny flashes that are gone before you can properly look at them. 😊
ReplyDeleteYour view across the water must give you something different to notice every day. Love all your pictures.
Hello John :)
ReplyDeleteA really lovely series of photos .Superb captures of the hummingbird. John, and also the colourful flowers. I see the dog in the wonderful cloud formation ,Lovely shot of the. Tall Ship.I always go to see them when they come to Porto. It's good news and I'm so pleased that Shadow has found a new mate.
Have a happy rest of the week.
All the best
Sonjia.
I worked on my post this morning to include the poem you wrote for me. Thank you so much! What a special friend you are! Enjoy your day. Sweet hugs, Diane
ReplyDeleteI love your pictures of the hummingbird. It's so pretty. Our hummingbirds in SW Texas are greener. I loved the views in Seattle when I was there several years ago, and hopefully will be there again next summer for a church conference. Shalom!
ReplyDeleteVisiting you today from https://lavenderdreamstoo.blogspot.com. Nice poem you wrote for Diane. I lived in Seattle 1978-1981. Your pictures are great, brought back pleasant memories of such a beautiful part of the country!
ReplyDeleteAs always, your photographs are breathtakingly beautiful, and I love your varied subjects. Hummingbirds are such fascinating birds and the shock of brilliant color when the male hummer turns its head is amazing. Thanks for sharing your commentary as well.
ReplyDeleteYour Hummingbird photos are beautiful! I look forward to what will transpire between Shadow and Kaydee! I am happy she came into Shadow's life and ours. That is a pretty sunset shot! This November here in Alberta we will not be changing our clocks, we will be permanently on Daylight Savings Time! I will see how I manage with sunrises, which are my favourite!
ReplyDeleteLoved this set! The shots of the hummingbird perched out in nature is fantastic
ReplyDeleteHello John,
ReplyDeleteYour updates are welcome, I always enjoy your photos of the Bay and the Seattle skyline, the boats and the lovely sunrise. I am still seeing two hummingbirds at my feeder, I am sure they will be flying south soon. Hubby and I both turn 70 in December, we are amazed how fast the years have gone by. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and a happy week ahead! PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.
John, this is a lovely post and I enjoy your ship photos the best. They are something that I don't see here often. A couple weeks ago our hummingbirds left, they were fun while they were here. It's good to hear that the smoke is no longer an issue. Take care and be well.
ReplyDeleteI'm happy to visit you today and say Happy October! I'm on a trip to the mts which is special for me! Enjoy your week! Hugs, Diane
ReplyDeleteI love this post. Your photographs are perfect and the hummer that changes is new to me although I feed the birds all summer and fall. I will be back.
ReplyDeleteLovely post with wonderful photos. I will be back.
ReplyDeleteJust checking in…great post! Cooler weather is welcome here too.
ReplyDelete