Saturday, November 19, 2022

Revival of Woolly Mammoth?

The woolly mammoth coexisted with early humans, who used its bones and tusks for making art, tools, and dwellings, and hunted the species for food.

With a genome project for the mammoth completed in 2015, it has been proposed the species could be revived through various means, but none of the methods proposed are yet feasible.

Read the full story.

The Woolly Mammoth
Thomas Quine, CC BY 2.0
<https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0>
via Wikimedia Commons

Wondering why? Good question. Well, looking at one of my Field Notes notebooks, and looking in the back at the "Practical Applications" I see Woolly Mammoth Wisdom. Next stop: Wikipedia.

Field Notes ... My favorite brand of notebooks.

In the back of the notebook:  Practical Applications
#04. Wisdoms from the Woolly Mammoth
Wow, another wonderful distraction from politics!


Recent Snaps

Walks with John

My favorite time to walk is right around dawn.

Every walk gets at least ONE photo.
It's the ONE I snap from this spot
to record the sky conditions.

Every day is different.

People riding bikes into town stop on
mornings like this to snap a photo.

First frost this past week.

Never get tired of Mt Rainier.

If you are not clicking on the image to get the large view, you are missing a lot.

The industrial cranes are not a distraction but a
reminder ... this is a port city.

Note the little white arrow ...
Hard to see, but literally hundreds of birds.

Rail car waiting to be unloaded at Grain Terminal 86.
I prefer nature's art but human art frequently
draws my attention.

Not a "good photo" ... but I like it.
Early morning sun on a Bald Eagle about 100 yards 
from the walk path in an industrial area.
These birds are simply magnificent.

Happened upon this spider in late afternoon
as the sun glistened on its web.
The web design and construction is meticulous.
Don't tell me there isn't intelligence
behind nature.

Always a pleasure to link up with Saturday's Critters.

Canada goose family ... early morning swim.
Ships

EXCELLENCE in morning sun at Pier 90.
The ship is a part of American Seafoods fleet
of Alaska fishing vessels.

Foss tugs await assignment.

MSC Container ship arrives in port.
Bainbridge Island in the background.

A Washington State Ferry
West Seattle in the background.

Skies

Looking west to the Olympics
across Puget Sound,
about 20 minutes after sunset.
November 14th

Early morning, the day after full moon.
Full November moon traditionally known
as the Beaver Full Moon.
November 10th

Departing early morning -- UPS Air Freight --
turning to the west -- Asia?
I include this photo as a reminder of my curiosity
seeing this daily flight as a part of the
global delivery system.

Remember this photo the next time you hear
a human complain about clouds.

So happy to see a fresh coat of snow on the Olympics!
November 14th

View from Kerry Park  -- Seattle & Mt Rainier
**12th day of blue sky and no rain**
November 18 2022


I was hoping to see the Green Flash, as I described
in my October 12, 2020, post.
It didn't happen, but nice sunset anyway.

John's Favorite Tree in Fall

Japanese Maple Tree

Hard to believe these leaves were GREEN a few weeks ago.

Closing thought ...


PS
Had to include this at the last moment ...

Purchased at the grocery yesterday ...
Sugar Gems - Tree-Ripe Mandarins
OMG ... like eating candy!

PPS

If you've read this far ... you are amazing. Thank you for stopping by and a Happy Thanksgiving to you!  👴👍


15 comments:

  1. Hello John,
    It be cool to have the Woolly Mammoth reincarnated. Beautiful views from your walks at dawn. The sky images are all lovely. I have looked for the green flash, no luck yet. I enjoyed the views of Mt Rainier, the ships and the Olympic Mtns. It is always a treat to see the Bald Eagle. It looks like a great place to see those huge flocks of ducks too. The Red Maple tree is gorgeous. Happy Thanksgiving to you! Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully we'll have some Florida oranges in the stores soon. I love any kind of fruit! Love the views of the mountain and I DID enlarge some of the photos to get a closer look. Enjoy your weekend and your walks! Your friend, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. "proposed the species could be revived"

    Am I the only one who watched Jurassic Park? 😂

    ReplyDelete
  4. i did enlarge your images, the pictures of dawn were especially lovely!! what an awesome sighting of the bald eagle, that is always so special!! the japanese maple is gorgeous...it kinda' makes you wish it were fall all year long!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All beautiful photos but the skies are awesome.
    No leaves left here now. The color came and went so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you like the sea and ships you are in the right place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many interesting things in this post! The early mornings are gorgeous! Great photos. Mt. Rainier is always a favourite! The shipping news and views are always interesting too! Keep on walking, John!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There has been so much talk of resurrecting species long extinct, but I think on balance better to let them remain extinct. We have a hard enough time allowing extant species sufficient habitat, let alone introducing additional competitors. There has been talk of resurrecting the Passenger Pigeon, once the most numerous bird on Earth, but I have no doubt that long before their numbers even approached that level we would declare them hyper-abundant and call for a cull. I led a nature walk recently and one of the participants boldly stated, "There are too many crows." It was hard for me not to laugh in her face. Here we are, at 8 billion people; we have destroyed much of the world's habitat and in the process poisoned the soil, the air and the oceans -and there are too many crows?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello John :=)
    Beautiful skies in every photo, and I also never tire of seeing Mt Rainier. I always enlarge your photos especially when I'm looking at your Mt Rainer images. The Bald Eagle, spider, and Canada Geese were great sightings. You have captured beautiful colour and scenery in all the interesting water vessel images, and I can't emphasise enough how beautiful your sky shots are. The equally lovely Japanese Maple is also my favourite autumn tree.:=) Those Sugar Gems look enticing; I have been eating loads of tangerines from the orchard, but soon we will be eating lots of Christmas goodies, and most of them are ready and waiting in the pantry. The 24th of November will soon be here, so a very Happy Thanksgiving to you John.
    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those tusks are indeed mammoth! I never tire of the things you come up with. And so many wonderful segments, all filled with curiosity and lots of delight. Thank you so much, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello John
    A lovely post.
    I am just so pleased the skies and weather are allowing you to enjoy your walks. Your photographs are lovely and especially nice to see Mount Rainier, and the Japanese Maple showing the beautiful Autumn colours.

    Enjoy the Sugar Gems - Tree-Ripe Mandarins :)
    Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving week.

    All the best Jan (and Eddie)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the mountain views, John!
    Glorious photos as always!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mandarins! I love them to eat by themselves or with baby greens and onions and a creamy salad dressing. So much in this post. Wooly Mammoths, I think, need to stay in the past. What would we do with them in this world... hunt them down for sport?

    All the sunsets you photograph are so beautiful, and your Japanese Maple tree in fall reminds me of a brilliant sunset also. The mountains are so stunning, and reminds me of what I am missing since I moved from Nevada to Colorado which do have mountains, then to middle Tennessee which is rolling hills. Love the spider in web, but that wide photographic view of the Olympics is stunning.

    I want to thank you for all the good feeling comments you leave me on my blog posts. You always make me feel happy when I read them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful post...from the old Thanksgiving tributes to the lady sucking the chocolate off the peanuts. lol. Beautiful scenery and photos. I hope you have a blessed, wonderful Thanksgiving. Hugs- Diana

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the soft light of dawn, and you captured it so beautifully in your photos, John! I love them. I am so glad you pointed out the birds with the white arrow. They could be easily missed otherwise. Beautiful photos of the bald eagle and the spider with the sun on them. Amazing skies and of course Mt. Rainier. Japanese Maple is my favourite tree too, the red leaves are so beautiful. I love reading your thoughts about your photos and the words about the "Sugar Gems" made me smile. Thank you!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete

Questions, Compliments, and/or Suggestions: If you ask a question, please check back here, on the blog, for an answer within, usually, a day or two. Thank you in advance for compliments. I’ll try to keep an open mind about suggestions. All comments are moderated. Please note: Comments with active links will not be published. Comments with an inactive link are probably okay.

Picturesque Scenery - 1910

Souvenir Folder - Picturesque Scenery Souvenir Folder Picturesque Scenery along the line of Great Northern Railroad, Montana, Idaho, and Was...