Saturday, May 20, 2023

Yellowstone the Wylie Way

Hello everyone and welcome to John's Island. In this post ...

1. See what it was like to tour Yellowstone National Park by stagecoach in the early 1900s ... The Wylie Way.

2. The story of my Mountain Bluebird nest box in 2007.

3. Put Yellowstone on your phone. 

4. Talk about a Talking Dog.

[Click on images for a larger, better view]

 Touring Yellowstone the Wylie Way Postcard Set

[Early 1900s]









I'm at a loss to explain all the speckles.
Just guessing ...
Printing in the early 1900s had some issues. ☺


Critter lovers ... don't miss Saturday's Critters!











The back cover.

It all folds up.

About the Wylie Way

The Wylie Way refers to the approach to tourism and hospitality in Yellowstone National Park developed by the Wylie family, who were early pioneers in the park's tourism industry.

In the early 20th century (prior to 1916), the Wylie family built a series of tent camps throughout Yellowstone, which offered a unique and immersive way to experience the Park's natural beauty. These tent camps were located in some of the most picturesque areas of the Park, and were designed to provide visitors with a comfortable, but rustic experience in the wilderness.

Guests at the Wylie tent camps would stay in canvas tents furnished with comfortable beds, linens, and even electric lights. The camps had communal dining halls, where guests would gather for meals prepared by Wylie's chefs, using locally sourced ingredients. Each camp also had guides who would lead visitors on hikes and other outdoor activities, providing a wealth of knowledge about the Park's flora, fauna, and geology.

The Wylie Way was a departure from the more traditional approach to tourism in Yellowstone, which had largely been centered around hotels and stagecoach tours. The Wylie's tent camps provided a more intimate and immersive experience in the Park's wilderness, and helped to establish the idea of ecotourism long before the term was even coined.

Today, the Wylie family's legacy lives on in Yellowstone, where their camps have been replaced by more permanent lodges and cabins, but the emphasis on connecting visitors with the Park's natural beauty remains as strong as ever.



Ready to tour the Wylie Way
Yellowstone National Park
(Prior to 1916 when autos were first
allowed into the Park.)

Wylie Way brochure
for Season 1915

Mountain Bluebird Story

All of these captures are from 2007 and were snapped in the Madison Valley of Montana. The nest box went up early summer with hopes that a nest would be built. A pair of Mountain Bluebirds chose the nest box in very early June and eggs were visible by mid-month. Four eggs were laid, but only 3 hatched and they fledged in July.

4 eggs in the nest

Mom at work

3 Baby Bluebirds and one egg that didn't hatch

Hungry birds

When the door is opened they expect food!
It takes several days for eyes to open.

Dad at work -
As Mountain Bluebirds go, the male is
the really blue one.

Dad and Mom feed the little ones

Mom at work

They are so hungry! They grow fast!

Getting big enough to be shy!

Hard to hide in there!

Thinking about flying.

It won't be long now.

Put Yellowstone on your Phone

If you are a Yellowstone National Park fan you might like to have the Park on your phone's lock screen. In May, 2018, during a visit to the Park, I snapped a photo of the Great Falls of the Yellowstone and it turned out pretty well. See photo below. Just a touch of rainbow effect in the spray at the bottom of the Falls. A bit of snow still on the ground from winter.



While recently reviewing my archive of photos I decided to use that photo on my phone so the lock screen appears as in the next photo.


If you would like to use my photo on your phone that will be fine with me. Click on the Great Falls photo to get the large view and then download it to your computer. You can then add the photo to the photos on your phone. Need all the steps to put the photo on lock screen?  Of course ... these are the steps for iPhone ... probably similar for other types of smartphones.

To set an image from your Photos as the lock screen image on your iPhone, follow these steps:

1. Open the "Photos" app on your iPhone.

2. Browse through your photo albums or use the "Search" feature to locate the image you want to set as the lock screen image.

3. Once you've found the desired image, tap on it to open it in full view.

4. Tap the share button, which is represented by a square with an upward arrow. It is usually located at the bottom-left or bottom-right corner of the screen.

5. In the share sheet that appears, scroll through the available options and locate "Use as Wallpaper." It may be necessary to swipe left on the bottom row of icons to reveal more options.

6. Tap on "Use as Wallpaper." The selected image will now be displayed with editing options.

7. Adjust the image as desired by using pinch-to-zoom or dragging it to reposition it. You can also choose between "Still," "Perspective," or "Live Photo" to set the image type.

8. Once you're satisfied with the image placement and type, tap on the "Set" button, which is usually located in the bottom-right corner.

9. Choose whether you want to set the image as the lock screen, home screen, or both. Select "Set Lock Screen" to set it as the lock screen image.

10. Your iPhone will confirm the change by displaying a preview of the lock screen. If you're content with the selection, tap on "Set" to apply the image as your lock screen.

That's it! The image from your Photos will now be set as the lock screen image on your iPhone.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Talk about a Talking Dog


A guy is driving around the backwoods of Montana and he sees a sign in front of a broken down shanty-style house: 'Talking Dog For Sale' He rings the bell and the owner appears and tells him the dog is in the backyard.

 

The guy goes into the backyard and sees a nice looking Labrador Retriever sitting there.

 

“You talk?” he asks.

 

“Yep,” the Lab replies.

 

After the guy recovers from the shock of hearing a dog talk, he says “So, what's your story?”

 

The Lab looks up and says, “Well, I discovered that I could talk when I was pretty young. I wanted to help the government, so I told the CIA. In no time at all they had me jetting from country to country, sitting in rooms with spies and world leaders, because no one figured a dog would be eavesdropping.

 

“I was one of their most valuable spies for eight years running. But the jetting around really tired me out, and I knew I wasn't getting any younger so I decided to settle down. I signed up for a job at the airport to do some undercover security, wandering near suspicious characters and listening in. I uncovered some incredible dealings and was awarded a batch of medals.

 

“I got married, had a mess of puppies, and now I'm just retired.”

 

The guy is amazed. He goes back in and asks the owner what he wants for the dog.

 

“Ten dollars,” the guy says.

 

“Ten dollars? This dog is amazing! Why on earth are you selling him so cheap?”

 

“Because he's a liar. He never did any of that stuff.”


20 comments:

  1. Lots of content here today!! Enjoyed seeing all the old post cards - what a great collection.
    Loved the bluebird story!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, this was such an enjoyment--I've always dreamed of going west and visiting Yellowstone, and seeing it the "Wylie Way" thru these wonderful old postcards was a real treat. Thanks for taking the time to upload all these! I did download your own photo, not for my phone but for my new tablet--I've been looking for something to replace Samsung's paint swirls. And I had a good chuckle over that dog's story too. He has quite the imagination :^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, that was sure fun! I enjoyed it all, and then the story of the talking dog to top it all off. Well done, John!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had many looks at our blue birds. You're lucky that they survived. This was a long post covering some interesting topics like Yellowstone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello John,
    Great series of Yellowstone postcards. Yellowstone was my favorite national park to visit. I saw my first Mountain Bird at Yellowstone, near Old Faithful. They are beautiful bird, wonderful photos. Those tents remind me of the tents set up in Africa for safaris. The talking dog is funny, cute story. Take care, have a wonderful new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. I appreciate the comment and link this week. Enjoy your day!

      Delete
  6. That's quite a collection of old postcards you have, John, and I suspect you have many more! As for the Mountain Bluebirds, that was a resounding success. Nest boxes have been critical in the recovery of all bluebird species. Eastern Bluebirds have returned to Southern Ontario in good numbers and are already occupying the upscale accommodation we have provided for them. Soon be time for the midwife!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed what you shared on Yellowstone National Park! I ended up rereading my blog posts from June of 2012 when I did a road trip from Calgary to Idaho and Wyoming. My immersive experience was in a tent cabin in close by Colter Bay, Grand Teton National Park. Your Wylie Way tent photo looks lovely, I would enjoy staying in something like that.

    Mountain Bluebirds are so pretty and those babies are precious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is amazing about the Wylie family camps. I did not know that. I was in Yellowstone in the 70s and again in the 90s. I would like to take my hubby but not sure he will be up for it.
    I have some baby birds on a wreath on a front door on my porch and I hate even walking out there because mama bird flies off every time.
    I had heard the talking dog story before but still laugh every time I hear it.
    Hope you have a wonderful Sunday, John. Diana

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello John :=)
    Your collection of Yellowstone Park photos are truly amazing. I like the sloth of bears, the man fishing is quite amusing, the beautiful photo of the Bison, the erupting geysers, waterfalls, winding river and the majestic mountains. I can see why the Wiley Way was a pioneering success and adventure, and travelling by coach or by motorcar must have been the height of touristic enjoyment The tents were large and luxurious, and the scenery still is like no other in the world. Watching the Bluebirds evolve was such a privilege, lovely images, and the Talking Dog was such a funny story, thank you for the smiles.
    Enjoy the rest of the week John and all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A most delightful post, John!
    Love the story of the talking dog.
    And your photos are beautiful as always.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. dear John thank you for the beautiful post as always !
    so enjoyed the national yellow park tour and how whylie family is serving tourists since long .we see this park only on youtube videos as it is very popular destination that attracts tourists from all over the world .
    i also enjoyed the talking dog story which was actually a very funny joke lol
    thanks for delightful sharing.
    blessings

    ReplyDelete
  12. how i forgot about the most beautiful bluebird story ,it made me smile all the way .how lovely and emotional just like a life we experience as human :) thnaks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so glad I waited to read and take in everything slowly while I sip my coffee. The postcard collection is incredible. I scrolled through them a few times to look at the details. They make me think of hybrid images of photography and painting. About the Wylie family camping experience - that immersive experience is the primary reason why I also love to camp at High Sierra over staying in a hotel close by. We have a few nest boxes in the local park where I love to walk, but I never ventured close to them. I do see mom or dad sitting on the boxes sometimes. Love the photos of the little ones. Last but not least, your waterfall photo is breathtakingly beautiful. Thank you for sharing and giving us the permission to use for background. Extremely generous of you John! Have a very lovely weekend!
    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  14. Me gustaron las pinturas de Yellowstone. Y la historia del pajarito y el perrito. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello John
    I must have missed this post! So pleased I visited your blog today and read it, very enjoyable.
    Great photographs and I enjoyed the story of the talking dog.

    May seems to have slipped by so quickly, taking the opportunity of wishing you a happy new month of June.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, I think a talking dog with a vivid imagination would make a first class companion. Must have been thrilling taking photos of the babies from just eggs to fledging size. I grew up in Nevada, and lived in Colorado for awhile, but I must have been blind to never notice any Mountain Bluebirds. The photos are beautiful. The Yellowstone postcard packet was fun to see. I didn't realize camping first started in finely furnished tents. Reminds one of the old movies of tents in Africa. It's always enjoyable to see what you are going to write about next. Take care and have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was checking to see if you had a new post this week and read this again. I love everything you've shared. Your posts always inform and enlighten us with some fun too! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi John: You said recently that you would enjoy seeing my library. It is up on my blog today. Take good care - David

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello Dear Friend,
    John I'm still laughing from the dog joke. I think I'll be telling it at my next family gathering.
    Never been to Yellowstone, but I'm always impressed with your wonderful posts. There are many places here in the USA that I've not seen. Steve and I were planing a long trip in our 5th wheel but as you know cancer got in our way. During our marriage we didn't have the time for long adventures. Hey, I don't mean to be a party pooper . . . life is good and we had an amazing marriage. I am truly blessed. I had to chuckle at the photos of Wylie's tent . . . looks like glamping has been around much longer than we think :)
    God bless you and thanks for another very interesting post.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete

Questions, Compliments, and/or Suggestions: If you ask a question, please check back here, on the blog, for an answer within, usually, a day or two. Thank you in advance for compliments. I’ll try to keep an open mind about suggestions. All comments are moderated. Please note: Comments with active links will not be published. Comments with an inactive link are probably okay.

Sea Birds

Sea Birds Spotted Last weekend I spotted a couple of "sea birds" on my waterfront walk. I thought my birding friends would enjoy s...