Friday, May 5, 2023

Journey in 3 words: Ships, Trains, Birds

First of all, for my creature loving friends, an amazing video I discovered comparing the size of flying creatures.


The photo below, from my last post, received many comments. Thanks to all who commented! I'm including it again, because it reminded me of a video I published in 2019 when my daily walks were around Seattle's Green Lake. For some reason I forgot to include the video in the blog, so I'm adding it today (just below the next photo). It features goslings spotted around Green Lake.



Next, join me on Holland America's Koningsdam, as we glide through British Columbia's Inside Passage. Thanks to timelapse, we can do the 5-hour journey in less than 3 minutes. This was on the first day of my cruise to Hawaii in April, 2022. Description from a travel brochure:  The Inside Passage is a narrow waterway that winds its way through a network of islands, inlets, and fjords not far from the British Columbia coast. As you sail through this area, you'll be surrounded by breathtaking scenery, including rugged mountains, lush rainforests, and sparkling blue waters.


Next, a few recently spotted ships around the Port of Seattle.

Norwegian JEWEL
One of the first ships to arrive Seattle in the new
Cruise Season 2023. She docked at Pier 66.
April 27, 2023

National Geographic VENTURE
April 27, 2023

EVERGREEN Container Ship arriving.
April 14, 2023


EVERGREEN Container Ship departing.
April 28, 2023

MERSK Container Ship in afternoon sun.
April 12, 2023

SAGA WELCO at anchor.
Awaiting a spot at the Grain Terminal
April 14, 2023

SAGA WELCO in early morning sun.
Note the sailboat in the distance.
April 14, 2023

Unusual to have a RORO anchored in Elliott Bay.
This is the VICTORY RAY a Vehicles Carrier
 that was built in 2010 and is
sailing under the flag of Bahamas.
April 12, 2023

Little pushing Big
April 17, 2023

Closer look at Little pushing Big

HAMBURG SUD anchored beyond the Marina.
April 24, 2023

The RUBY Princess departed late on Wednesday, May 3rd., about 9 PM
As she departed, Seattle was in the midst of an unusual lightning storm.
Cloud to cloud lightning lit up the sky just as I snapped this shot.

Moonlight on Elliott Bay
April 5, 2023

Trains

I've tried some different walks lately. One walk took me to the AMTRAK Station in Tukwila, Washington, on Thursday morning, May 4th. While I was walking the platform, a Sounder Commuter train happened to pass through enroute to Seattle from points South. To show how easily entertained I am, I shot a short video and published it on my YouTube channel. If you like trains, enjoy!



Closing with a First

Holland America's Eurodam
arrives morning of April 29, 2023

The Eurodam is the first cruise ship of the 2023
Cruise Season to dock at Pier 91.
April 29, 2023, she started
weekly, roundtrip cruises to Alaska through September.
A few other cruise ships have arrived earlier at
Pier 66 and Pier 90.


Closing thoughts ... 

John:

What is life all about?


ChatGPT:

The question of what life is all about is one of the most fundamental and enduring questions that humans have grappled with throughout history. The answer to this question is subjective and can vary depending on an individual's beliefs, values, and experiences.

Some people believe that life is about seeking happiness and pleasure, while others believe that it is about fulfilling a higher purpose or spiritual calling. Some see life as a journey of self-discovery and personal growth, while others view it as an opportunity to make a positive impact on the world.

Ultimately, the meaning of life is a deeply personal and individual matter. It is up to each person to define what their own life is about and what gives it meaning and purpose.




16 comments:

  1. ...ah, to be able to fly! The ships that you see are fabulous, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another wonderful journey with you, John. I look forward to them very much. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. While out birding in one of our local parks yesterday, we saw our first goslings of the seasons, two sets of devoted parents taking care of their young. It is an endearing sight and one that never loses its appeal. Canada Geese are fearsome in defence of their young, yet the relationship is brief, and once the young are independent they likely never see each other again - and they don't even contemplate thje meaning of life! Well, as far as we know.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah! The meaning of life! I still don't fully know yet what that means for me which means I am continuing to find my way, which means I am always learning, experimenting, adventuring and growing! Maybe it's a good thing I don't yet! The Inside Passage looks beautiful! I want to cruise out of Vancouver, B.C. one day but I want to cruise north to Alaska!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello John :=)
    All young creatures instinctively make me want to hold them and the sweet duckling and goslings are no exception. The flying creatures video was a pleasant surprise and was appreciated, and I enjoyed all the others. It's amazing how trains have become more streamlined since I was a young woman, and those cruise ships seem to get bigger each time I see one. Some of the sea vessels have such pretty names, and you are fortunate to see such a great variety of ships. Great photography throughout your post.
    Enjoy the month of May John, and my best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful photos.
    Some of those cruise ships are amazingly HUGE.

    ReplyDelete
  7. La foto de la luna. Es mi preferida. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello John
    Many thanks for this post, so much to see and enjoy.
    Lovely to see the geese and goslings.
    Eddie was out in the garden recently and a duck waddled past him on way to a nearby lake, he wished he had his camera with him!

    I know many folks enjoy cruises but I've never been on a cruise ship, some of them look so huge.

    Enjoy your May days.

    All the best Jan (and Eddie)

    ReplyDelete
  9. John - joining you from Saturday's Critters. Your blog post is so interesting with so many different ships - you obviously know a lot about them - fascinating! Like J.P, I love the moon photo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Moonlight on Elliott Bay is beautiful. The meaning of life... for me it is one word - survival. Toxic relationships, betrayals, bad mistakes, mental abuse, poverty; of course it wasn't all the time, but enough times. I guess I've become a little bit of a not so nice person in the process. Thank goodness for pet cats who always stick with you through thick and thin.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the serene and gentle "expression" on the little gosling's face. An amazing photo. What a mesmerising video of your voyage. Who doesn't find train's entertaining?! Loved the short video you took. I really love reading your anecdotes along with seeing all the photos you share. John's Island is a delightful place.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely enjoyed this amazing post, John.
    So much to see and learn!
    I especially love those ships.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That cute little ducking, and some great looking boats.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello John,
    The goslings are adorable, I do love the photo and I enjoyed the Geese video. Great captures. The cruise ship on the inside passage brings back memories of our Alaska cruise. Cool photos of all the cruise ships. Love the Flying creatures video too. The night time shots are lovely, beautiful moonlight. Sorry, I am late commenting! Hubby and I just arrived home from a trip to Ireland. Thanks so much for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and the rest of the week! PS, thank you for leaving me a comment!

    ReplyDelete
  15. John,

    Thanks for sharing your awesome photo of all those cool ships! It's really something to see the different types floating around.

    As for the meaning of life, well, that's a big question. Sharing yhis citat: "God's love and grace offer us a new identity and purpose in life. We find true meaning when we embrace His forgiveness, follow His teachings, and live in relationship with Him." - Timothy Keller

    Thanks again for sharing your awesome experiences and thoughts. Keep on exploring and enjoying life!

    Take care,
    Aritha

    ReplyDelete

Questions, Compliments, and/or Suggestions: If you ask a question, please check back here, on the blog, for an answer within, usually, a day or two. Thank you in advance for compliments. I’ll try to keep an open mind about suggestions. All comments are moderated. Please note: Comments with active links will not be published. Comments with an inactive link are probably okay.

Sea Birds

Sea Birds Spotted Last weekend I spotted a couple of "sea birds" on my waterfront walk. I thought my birding friends would enjoy s...