Saturday, February 11, 2012

iPhoneography

Hello followers! Have you been reading about what's happening in the digital camera market these days? I've been kind of surprised to find out that sales for all stand-alone digital cameras, except the very high end models, have been on the decline for the last year or two. It turns out that more and more people are discovering that the best camera you can use is often simply the one you have with you, and more and more that turns out to be the camera in your smartphone. For me, it's the iPhone, and, if for nothing else, I love it for its camera capability. Since 2008 I've been capturing spur-of-the-moment shots that I would probably never have captured with a separate "camera only". I even maintain a separate archive of photos taken with the phone. Of course, I'm still taking a lot of photos with my primary camera, the Lumix GF1, and most frequently, those photos turn out to be the ones taken on a "photography outing."  Now, having said all that, let's get to the point. There is a certain sort of person who says to me ... "You're just a 'clicker nut' taking all those photos and what are you ever going to do with them? Will you ever look at them?" [Sound familiar?] I can tell you for sure, it is fun to go back and look at the old pictures. And we are not talking family photos here, but just the scenes of ordinary life that are memorable for one reason or another. Here, below, are some shots taken with the iPhone in 2008. Be sure to click on the photos for a larger view. Hope you enjoy and thanks, as always, for stopping by John's Island.


 Riding the streetcar ...


Impressed by a Coast Guard vessel ...

And then, one job I don't want : - ) ....
 Waiting for a ship to come in ...

 Capturing a rainbow ...




The quiet of a restaurant just opened and before the crowds arrive ... 

Waterfront on a pretty day ...


Being political without expressing politics ...

Ahhh, a clean car ...
 A path through the leaves ...

Good to know they are nearby ...


Fall in the city ...

Just to prove we really do have blue skies in Seattle ...

A small Montana town ...

Life's little delays ...

A great cup of coffee ...

Quick snaps in Yellowstone ...



Flowers on a walk ...

6 comments:

  1. it is remarkable what you can do with a phone these days. now they're getting so many apps to do effects with your photos, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have things in common John. I am using Lumix DMC FS 5. My youngest bro gave me an IPhone but I have not use it yet. I am still using my old Nokia E71 for the reason I had been so used to it. Thanks for the info about the camera of this cell phone. I guess its time to say goodbye to my Nokia phone or I could used them alternately. The E71 is also a gift from same brother of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't see any 68 GTO pictures. I'll bet they are in a different file named "pictures taken long ago". HA

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use my iphone camera allot! i love the HDR app.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi John. Lovely photos! You can just do so much with the iPhone camera, can't you? It's awfully handy to have at the ready. Thanks for sharing and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Questions, Compliments, and/or Suggestions: If you ask a question, please check back here, on the blog, for an answer within, usually, a day or two. Thank you in advance for compliments. I’ll try to keep an open mind about suggestions. All comments are moderated. Please note: Comments with active links will not be published. Comments with an inactive link are probably okay.

Picturesque Scenery - 1910

Souvenir Folder - Picturesque Scenery Souvenir Folder Picturesque Scenery along the line of Great Northern Railroad, Montana, Idaho, and Was...