Friday, April 8, 2022

Early April in Seattle & an Experiment

 I've been walking every day. Here are a few pics from early April. Most of these pics were taken during my walks. Those of you who've been following the blog know that walking daily is a challenge I set for myself in early 2021. So, I'm working on my second year now. My #1 recommendation for improving your own wellness is to start walking daily, about 2 miles (3.21km) or more.

Signs of Spring

At work on this year's nest.
[Click on images for larger view.]

See lots more critter pics via Saturday's Critters! 

On the left ... After a very rainy night
On the right ... new growth
Daily Start Photo
Every day, at the start of my walk, at a certain spot
I snap a photo of the scene to record the sky condition.
Above are 4 different days in early April.
Reflections
On the left ... a reflection in the walk path
On the right ... the trees above

Just happened to be at the right spot
at the right time to catch the rising sun
reflecting off the windows of the Space Needle
April 6th  6:59AM
Ships
At anchor, waiting for the opportunity to be 
loaded with grain at the Grain Terminal.

The "Great Hope" being loaded with grain from the
Mid-West destined for Asia

Foss Tug in early morning light.

Big OOCL departing for Asia.
OOCL - Your Vital Link to World Trade


Cruise ship season is about to open in Seattle later in April.
Here is Ovation of the Seas arriving April 8, 2022,
but not to start its summer cruise season yet.
Seattle Cruse Ship Schedule 2022 - PDF
Skies
I like the beams of light.
Looking west from Seattle over Puget Sound
Bainbridge Island in the distance.

Just after sunset, April 5th
Click to see the large image.
Then, take a long look at the bright cloud,
in the center, just above the mountains.
What do you see?  😈

...**⇹**...
Experiment
April, 2022

A day or two after this post I’m starting an experiment. Realizing there is little I can do about the state of the world, perhaps taking a break from the steady stream of information regarding how humans treat other humans might improve my own sense of wellbeing. I’m starting with an expectation of taking a month, maybe more, for my experiment. What I’m going to do is disconnect from media of all sorts. No more following the news on the internet and trying to figure out what is true and what isn’t. Same for news on TV, radio, newspapers, etc. Also cutting back on social media, Twitter, Facebook, etc. Tired of so much negativity without realistic plans for improvement. Humankind is in a state of disarray. Although there has long been speculation about the “end times”, it seems to me we are closer than ever. So many humans trying to force their own beliefs on other humans. So, I’m taking a break from it. The reason I mention this is, for those of you who blog, or follow me on other social media, you may not see me for a while. No worries, all is well. And especially to my blog friends ... my experiment is not about you ... you are, for the most part, encouraging and uplifting. However, this experiment cannot be carried out peacemeal. Taking a break from the internet means taking a break from blogging. So, see you again soon. Take care, be well, and stay safe!   

John


19 comments:

  1. You are being watched...Such an ominous sunset. I do love the beams of light fanning out over the water. Very beautiful. I hope your experiment helps as much as you would like it to help. When my husband turned on the news tonight, I found myself telling him to turn it off, as I am drained emotionally with the news coming from Ukraine. I have to filter my intake of the cruelty towards animals and humans in this world, but to shut off completely does not work for me. I need to know the atrocities, in order to do some good. I will miss you. I hope this vacation for your mind gives you the rest and peace you are looking for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, thank you so much for your thoughtful and kind comment. I hear you about, “I need to know the atrocities, in order to do some good.” My guess, at this point, is that my experiment will not be a lasting behavior for very reason you mention. Just a few days ago I watched Eckhart Tolle (in a new streaming video) talk about what’s going on in the world today. He mentioned that 2000 years ago Jesus said do unto others as you would have them do unto you. (Matthew 7:12) Tolle then said 2500 years ago Confucius said the same thing in the reverse, do not do unto others what you do not want done to you. He said this is evidence of a long-standing spiritual teaching on life and how it should be lived. So many humans still haven’t matured enough to realize how important that is to the future of humanity. Thanks again and take good care!

      Delete
  2. That green sunrise...gasp...so incredible!

    I don't blame you for taking a break. I do it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John
    I admire what you are going to do. I only have one form of social media I use and that is my blog in the hope it brings some joy to people, I use nothing else and don't even have accounts for the. I stopped watching the news ages ago because I got fed up with all the in depth look they took at things and the fact I cannot stand our government now after how they handled Corvid. I'll miss your selection of photos you take each week and will look forward to when you return again. Just don't stop taking photos

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello John,
    I am probably repeating myself, you have a gorgeous place to walk. Congrats on continuing your walk challenge. You are doing great. I love the photos of the ships, skies and sunrises. Neat capture of the Crow gathering nesting material. I am enjoying the signs of spring, the trees are budding and flowers are popping out now. I dropped Twitter years ago, the news is just depressing. I feel sad from watching the war scenes from Ukraine. Enjoy your break, I hope you drop in to let us know how you are doing. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The light difference in the four shots of the same scene is remarkable. The light changes the scene altogether.

    I love that reflection shot too. The same walk presents so many different things every day.

    Enjoy the break John. See you on the other side!

    ReplyDelete
  6. JOHN,
    Well most devises have an ON/OFF Button- easy enough to turn it 'OFF'. Wish you well. The Grain Carrier Ships are huge indeed- very large. I like your photos- you have the knack of getting things just right. Stay well and safe there in Seattle. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep on walking. I have had a hard time to keep walking this winter as we've had a lot of ice. Things many not be very good in the world right now but I still think we have to be aware of what's going on. You are not the only one to turn off the news

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello John,:=) I know just how you feel about switching off. I have already done this, because the daily news made me feel depressed. Blogging is the only social media I choose to carry on doing, because comments and subjects are usually uplifting.I hope your time away from social media helps you recover from the negativity you speak of, Freeing your mind of negative thoughts should do the trick, and I hope you will be back blogging again before too long.


    I enjoy seeing the sights you see on your walks. The colourful shimmering water reflection of the lights in your Foss Tug image is really lovely. The refection of the trees on the walk path is also great, and the image is so sharp that you can also see the clouds. On the 5th of April you took a beautiful and colourful picture of the sky. I see a face looking over the cloud with dark eyes, long nose, and long flowing white hair. The bird gathering twigs to make a nest, is perhaps a good note to end on. Nature is good for the soul.
    All the best
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's an importance in observing and experiencing the same walk in alk seasons. You see so much more when you're tuned in. I'll miss your blog, but you need to do what's right for you, and I hope you do get peace of mind as you go day by day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I sure will miss our walks but I know you'll keep walking and collect all kinds of neat photos to share when you get back. I think we all need a break from time to time for our mental health. I admire you for walking every day. I try for every other day and so far so good. LOVE seeing your ships and the beautiful skies! I'll miss you John! Write me when you get back! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't do much other than social networking other than reading and writing posts. I do look on Facebook every now and then just to see how family is doing. I'll miss you but completely understand the need to care for your own mental health! Sending virtual hugs, John.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I understand your need for a break. Something I have never mentioned, but I have not watched TV news or anything like that in several years. I don’t feel that I am missing out on anything. Like you say, I can’t do anything to change the world, except pray, of course. I must take care of myself.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoy your break, John. I think sometimes we get so caught up in the worldly problems that it actually affects our health. I agree and have walked two miles a day for the past couple of years until I got hit with some inflammatory issues in my foot. Once that is under control I will be back to my daily two miles. Because we have such unpredictable weather here I sometimes end up walking on the treadmill in our garage.

    Blessings to you, John. Enjoy your time away and will look forward to seeing you in a bit. Hugs- Diana

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful photos and colours. I love the water in the Fosses Tug photo. I always find taking breaks very helpful. I have been doing the same, except for reading a few nice uplifting blogs like yours, and I hope mine brings some joy and respite to others. Take care and enjoy your walks. See you when you come back.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely photographs here John.
    Enjoy your break, take care of yourself.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  16. i loved the stroll dear John as always but the rays passing through clouds and water had me for long :) what a glorious image so captivating!

    i am glad you are taking the break from internet i think if you can stick with it for a month you will surly feel the sooth and healing energy rising within you ,the pressure of negativity can effect and waste even the positive impact of your walks i must say because it is mind ridden stuff that we face everyday through media .
    heartfelt best wishes for the break !
    blessings to you and family!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Se te extrañara, lindas imagenes. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Many thanks for your update on the 16 May.
    Pleased all is well.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Questions, Compliments, and/or Suggestions: If you ask a question, please check back here, on the blog, for an answer within, usually, a day or two. Thank you in advance for compliments. I’ll try to keep an open mind about suggestions. All comments are moderated. Please note: Comments with active links will not be published. Comments with an inactive link are probably okay.

Robbery

Robbery in Progress So tempting! [Click on images for larger view] Yummm! My neighbors recently hung a bird feeder in one of their trees. Th...