Friday, September 16, 2022

Yellowstone Long Long Ago

 Very Old Views

Yellowstone, America's First National
Park was created by an Act of Congress in 1872.
The Entrance Arch was dedicated by
President Teddy Roosevelt in 1903.

In the early days, tourists stayed in hotels
and camps, like the "Wylie Camp" in
this photo. There were no RVs. 😊

Your tour of the Park will be on a Stagecoach.
Sorry, no SUVs! 😊

** Fountain Geyser **
These images are from my postcard collection.

"Veranda, Old Faithful Inn"
My postcard collection focuses on
Yellowstone National Park and the
Transcontinental Passenger Railroads
that helped open up the Park to Tourists.

50 of these cards were sold in a box
for $1 in early 1900s.
(See next image.)

50 Artistic Highly Colored
Yellowstone Park Postcards
Price $1.00


- Above Upper Falls -
These cards were published by
The Acmegraph Co. of Chicago

** Mortar Geyser **
The reverse side of these cards calls for
postage: Domestic - One Cent
Foreign - Two Cents

** A Young Elk **
These cards were printed before 
color film was available.

Famous Old Faithful Inn
If you're curious, you can research
"how postcards were colorized" with Google.

No "smartphones" ... No phones at all! 😊

** Antelope **
This scene is near the Northern Entrance.
The Arch is visible in the distance.

Old Faithful Inn from Bee Hive "Cone"
Note how close the tourist is to the "Cone" 😊

Tourists feeding the bears.
(To keep the Rangers happy, don't
try this today.) 

"A Park Bear"
Today, tourists want to see the bears!
Love critters? Check out Saturday's Critters.

** Elk in Snow, Hayden Valley **
Can you imagine???

** Coaching Party ** My kind of "party"!
Note: 6 Horsepower Stage.
(Funny how we still talk about 
horsepower to move around today!)

Famous Old Faithful Geyser.
Still on schedule today!

Recent Snaps

I've been prevented from getting out for recent walks due to smoke in the air here in Seattle. Wildfires in surrounding forests are making the air unhealthy. I hope to be back with walk snaps in a future post. Take care and a good weekend to all!  John



18 comments:

  1. Wonderful to hear from you, as always. Our air quality has gone from bad to really good! Your pictures remind me of my two visits to Yellowstone when I lived in Colorado. It is a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry you can't get out for your walks. I know you miss them but it's better to be safe and stay healthy. Love these old postcards. I love to imagine myself 'back in the day'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello John,
    Your postcard collection of Yellowstone is awesome. I have been there twice and loved it so much I could go back again. It is a great park for seeing the wildlife. The view of the Old Faithful Inn is lovely. I like the Elk and Antelope and the bear. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just had to stop in to see how you are doing. Sorry about all that smoke. These old postcards are lovely. You mention, no phones at all. I can’t see how I would get along now without any phones. Yes, I have lived long enough to know what that was like, but I was a child when we had no phones. A little birdie is telling me that I may be back to an occasional blog post before too long. I miss my blogging friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope the fires are under control soon, John. You must miss those walks! I enjoyed the old views!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a precious collection! How things change.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is the Old Faithful Inn still there? It was when I was there back in the . . . never mind, just back then. I *seem* to remember seeing it! I don't believe nobody got mauled by bears feeding them like that (unless they were black bears, but they get pissy, too). The post cards are as good as photos. Thank you for sharing. You just stay in and stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. John- great Post- It'd be great to stay at the Yellowstone Inn- such grand buildings from yesteryear. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One cent stamps! What a nice collection of very old postcards of a place that i've never been. I would be interested also in the railroad cards, as I have a fondness for steam engines and other trains. I always found them memerizing as a child, and even today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some nice old postcards their John very nice

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry to report our step challenge is no more. The park service said the steps to the lower falls would cost too much to repair them so they took them down in 2019.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry to hear that. I will be trying to come up with a new challenge for us within the Park. Will let you know. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  12. I am so sorry to hear about the wildfires and smoke. I know you miss your walks. That is quite an impressive collection of postcards! The display and the comments made me feel like I was reading a travelogue. So wonderful! I have not visited Yellowstone yet, can you believe that?! Thank you so much for sharing the postcards with us. Wishing you a happy week, John!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  13. What great pictures and history--but sorry you can't walk because of the smokey air and take pictures yourself. This, too, shall pass. I was lucky enough to stay at the Old Faithful Inn back in the mid 70s. And I got to see so many of the local sights--and Old Faithful on schedule! I hope you have a wonderful week, John. Diana

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello John
    I am so sorry you are not able to enjoy your walks, but always better not to venture out when there are adverse weather/air conditions.

    I did enjoy seeing your postcard selection though, a very interesting post, thank you.

    Hoping you will soon be able to get out and about walking again.
    In the meantime, take care.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Que bellas imagenes me gustaron mucho. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  16. such delightful series of old images dear John !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Questions, Compliments, and/or Suggestions: If you ask a question, please check back here, on the blog, for an answer within, usually, a day or two. Thank you in advance for compliments. I’ll try to keep an open mind about suggestions. All comments are moderated. Please note: Comments with active links will not be published. Comments with an inactive link are probably okay.

For Critter Friends

  A Post for My Critter Friends Have you discovered the trove of treasures within YouTube? In my journey of exploration through the digita...