Saturday, December 10, 2022

Early December

 Alaska

From my collection ...
A booklet published by The Alaska Railroad in 1933
to attract tourists to the Territory of Alaska before it
became one of the United States.
The cover image is a favorite!

Inside the booklet is a shot of the Steamship Aleutian
at Columbia Glacier. I collect vintage travel memorabilia
and have decided to share some of the collection
here on John's Island.

Recent Snaps

The Transatlantic at Grain Terminal 86 and
another bulk carrier at anchor beyond.
It usually takes 3 or 4 days to load a grain ship.

An exceptionally colorful sunset
November 25, 2022

Great Blue Heron looks cold in the morning wind.

Double Crested Cormorant
If you can zoom in, notice the green eye.
For those of you who love critter photos,
check out Saturday's Critters.

Four birds of a different "feather?"

Reflections

Just after sunset November 27th

Unusual late start to my walk on December 1st
with lots of welcome sunshine.

Pan Flower is at the Grain Terminal on December 1st

I walk about 2 miles most days. I snap pictures along
the way and then share some of them here on
John's Island.

From my starting point I walk southeast about 1 mile
to this point, turn around, and head back.

I like the name Pan Flower. I often wonder who
selects the ship's name and what that person is like.

Coast Guard Icebreaker 20, the USCGC Healy, departing the Port on
December 2nd. Not the best photo, but I'm including it anyway. I'm
so impressed with the young crew who will be spending the
next couple of months in rough conditions to provide
help as needed in very remote locations.

The Ocean Rover, fishing vessel, is in Port for
maintenance over the winter months.

Looking up the path to the spot where the next
photo was taken.

Every walk I stop at this spot to snap a photo
to record sky conditions. December 3rd was a beauty.

Foss Tug Marshall Foss
I believe all of the company's vessels are named for 
members of the Foss family.
I'm guessing the Foss company is the largest
tug operator in the Port of Seattle.

Work on shoreline erosion is underway and
started about 2 weeks ago.

Along the Elliott Bay Trail where shoreline
erosion is being worked on.
The erosion is attributed to exceptionally high tides
and strong storm conditions. Another example of the
effects of climate change.

Very small amount of show overnight.
December 3rd.

Fresh snow on the foot hills of the Olympic Mountains.
This view is looking west across Puget Sound from
the Interbay/Smith Cove area of Seattle. Note: it's
easy to see the parts of the forest that have been logged.


Tempting but too cold (for me) to sit.

Seattle has lots of Canada Geese visiting this
time of year.

December 9th and the leaves are gone!
Best wishes to my blogging friends
for happy holidays ahead.
Thanks for stopping by John's Island.

Closing thought ...

I used this one before. It is worth repeating.



20 comments:

  1. Hello, John
    I enjoyed your travel booklet collection, Alaska is a beautiful place to visit. Hubby and I would like to visit the national park and see Mt Denali, we have done the Alaska cruise. Beautiful captures of the Heron, Cormorant and the Geese. I like the views you have during your morning walks, the shot of the snow covered Olympic Mountains is lovely. Beautiful sunset and sky captures. I always like seeing the tugboats, like the Foss Tug. Cool capture of the helicopters, 4 together are they military copters? Happy Holidays to you! Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend! PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting to contemplate that not so many years ago Alaska was considered a "wild frontier" and perhaps to some it still is. I wonder how many young men were drawn by the allure of creative art such as this to make the long journey north, and how many stayed? How many were shocked to experience their first winter, and periods with very little daylight? How many even had suitable clothing? Ah, those were the days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The helicopters give me the creeps for some reason!

    Love the closing statement about unplugging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, I saw your post yesterday before you took it down. I just wanted to say we all see the world in our own way, but I wish you peace and a happy holiday.

      Delete
  4. Hi John- Nice photos you have presented- the Birds are interesting as are the Ships...I'm amazed by the size of the Grain Ships -if they are loaded with Wheat then that sure is a lot of Loaves of Bread in transit. Best Wishes. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely enjoyed your beautiful photos, John.
    I hope to visit Alaska someday.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your wonderful potpourri of pictures showing your lovely area. And I also like your new header! Best wishes of the season to you and yours, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that meme. Walking along that shoreline in Seattle is a great way to unplug!

    The sky is spectacular and I love the snow covered mountains. I miss mountains here!

    Enjoy the holidays, John.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The style of art work on those old pamphlets and tourist maps is now very popular again, and many outdoor places offer post cards with similar imagery. It’s great to see the originals in your collection.

    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting photos!
    I especially like the Heron and the Cormorant.
    Magnificent sunset on Nov. 25th!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful and beautiful photos from your walks. I think it is the best way to start the day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoy your tours of the harbor. Then the old tourism stuff teaches much about long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You post such a variety of beautiful images. I especially like the sky shots and the birds (the metallic ones too).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful photos John. I can imagine being able to look at those mountains covered in snow.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What wonderful pictures, John. You surely live in a beautiful part of the country. That is an interesting name on that ship- Pan Flower. The name sounds Oriental to me. I am glad you are able to get your walks in and take these great pictures to share. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas holiday. Blessings- Diana

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love seeing your walks through your eyes. All the photos are so interesting, but my favorite has to be the reflection one. Many days the sky looks so phenomenal, and the closing thought... I think it would be to my benefit to unplug myself more often. I'm wishing you wonderful days ahead this holiday also. It's so nice having you for a blogging friend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love to see the great Blue Heron

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello John
    It's hard to believe that we are mid-December now, the days go by so quickly.
    I enjoyed seeing your collection of beautiful photographs, so pleased you have been able to get out and about and enjoy some walks.
    I do like your closing thought ... how true.

    Enjoy your December days and happy holidays to you too.

    All the best Jan (and Eddie)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello John
    I know I previously commented on this post but know blogger does sometimes cause glitches, so it may be in your spam folder ...

    I enjoyed your photographs, hoping you are having a good week.

    My good wishes

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful photos and love the travel poster. My Dad was stationed on Kodiak Island when he was in the Army/Air Force in the early 50's. I've been to Ketchikan, Juneau and Anchorage. Alaska is amazing. Interesting boats and views you have shared. Happy Holidays to you.

    ReplyDelete

Questions, Compliments, and/or Suggestions: If you ask a question, please check back here, on the blog, for an answer within, usually, a day or two. Thank you in advance for compliments. I’ll try to keep an open mind about suggestions. All comments are moderated. Please note: Comments with active links will not be published. Comments with an inactive link are probably okay.

Robbery

Robbery in Progress So tempting! [Click on images for larger view] Yummm! My neighbors recently hung a bird feeder in one of their trees. Th...