Monday, October 1, 2018

North to Alaska 2018 (7, 8)

Click here for my Introductory Post

Anchorage

Monday, September 3, Labor Day
We have arrived in Anchorage's industrial port.
Surprisingly, there is no Cruise Ship Terminal here.

Starting the day with blue skies all around.
The weather forecast is excellent for the days ahead as well.
Lucky!

Mountains visible from Port.

It seemed to me that the most popular activity here is to take a shuttle bus
into downtown Anchorage and do some shopping. I elected to
simply stay aboard ship and relax.

Homer

Tuesday, September 4, just before dawn.
Nearing Homer, Alaska

Sunrise just before we dock.
(Looking east.)

Mountain view from the aft deck of the ship.
To me, this picture looks more like a painting than a photo.
(Looking west.)

Mountains around Homer

Homes on the hillside near Homer

Early morning look at the surrounding mountains.

Same view later in the day.

The Zaandam at dock in Homer.
The blue sky, dry day, is making everyone happy.

A shot for those who haven't cruised before.
Selecting your stateroom is important if you are worried about seasickness.
Best place for stability: center of the ship and lower decks.
Lower decks are usually most economical.
Going higher gets you a balcony or, as they call it, a veranda.

Thanks to all of you who have been leaving me comments. In this series of posts I've been trying to reply to your comments here on the blog, so check back a day or two later if you wish.

Next time: Kodiak

12 comments:

  1. Hello, John! I have been enjoying your cruise post. Alaska is a beautiful state. Your photos of the scenic views, water and mountains are lovely. Like you, I am not much of a city person and not really a shopper. Happy Monday, enjoy your day and new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Eileen, Thank you so much for the comment and for following along. Wishing you a happy day ahead!

      Delete
  2. Hello John, than photo of the mountain view from the aft deck of the ship is gorgeous. You will have to get a blow up and frame it as a reminder of your vacation adventure. I'm with you . . . I do not go on vacation to shop. This has always been a problem for me when we travel with other couples, because most women want to go shopping. I can shop at home! I always feel like a day of going in and out of shops is a wasted day of my trip. I want to enjoy the area by walking the harbors, benches, and enjoying the views. Thanks again for a wonderful post. I am mostly a blog-land traveler so tagging along on my computer gives me a few minutes to escape to other lands.
    God bless you.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Connie, Thank you for your comment! We are on the same page when it comes to shopping! :-) God bless you and have a great day! Thanks for following along! John

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Ruth. I too love the mountain scenery!

      Delete
  4. Your mountain pictures are stunning! You sure did luck out with the weather. I am enjoying virtually being on this trip with you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an interesting series from a non cruise kind of guy. I wouldn't go shopping either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Red, we are on the same page when it comes to shopping! Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  6. Your images are outstandingly beautiful dear John!!!

    thank you for sharing the glimpse of your part of land which are new to my eyes so drop to my heart a great deal of joy excitement and peace!

    sunrise from the heart of ocean is breathtaking!

    how serene and charming the Homer is
    lucky guys you to visit such an elegant place
    more safety ,health and happiness to you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Baili, Great to hear from you! Thank you for your comments. God bless you!

      Delete

Questions, Compliments, and/or Suggestions: If you ask a question, please check back here, on the blog, for an answer within, usually, a day or two. Thank you in advance for compliments. I’ll try to keep an open mind about suggestions. All comments are moderated. Please note: Comments with active links will not be published. Comments with an inactive link are probably okay.

Picturesque Scenery - 1910

Souvenir Folder - Picturesque Scenery Souvenir Folder Picturesque Scenery along the line of Great Northern Railroad, Montana, Idaho, and Was...