Sunday, September 30, 2018

North to Alaska 2018 (5, 6)

Click here for my Introductory Post

Icy Strait Point

Saturday, September 1, 2018
We are scheduled to arrive in Icy Strait Point, Alaska.
This sign at the "Tours Desk" caught my attention.
It shows things to see right around where the ship is
going to be docked.

Here we are at Icy Strait Point.
Look closely in the trees to the left for a tiny white spot.

Departing the ship I could see the tiny white spot had turned
out to be a bald eagle. There was a nest in the tree and this one was
keeping watch.

As you walk away from the ship you pass this spot.
This is a burial ground for some of the original settlers
in this location.

Great little place for the freshest seafood.

There is a shuttle into the town of Hoonah, Alaska, about 1.5 miles
from the ship. There is also an excellent sidewalk for those who
wish to walk into town and pass on the $5 shuttle charge.

Kayaking is one of the activities available at this stop.

Wishing I knew the story of this vessel.
When I snapped the picture below, I thought about the day being a Saturday and Eileen would be posting Saturday's Critters. I thought to myself, when I get back I'll link up with her as I thought my eagle pic (above) would qualify. At the same time I thought some of the critter lovers might enjoy this guy as well. Thanks to Eileen for hosting!

OK, not a real bear, but a pretty neat sculpture!
This is located near the Old Cannery

Day at Sea

Sunday morning, September 2nd
I stepped out on the aft deck to watch the sunrise.

6:37 AM Alaska Daylight Time
We are at sea enroute Anchorage.

I guess there are others who like to snap sunrise pics.

Zoomed in a bit.
Looks like it is going to be a beautiful day!

This is a "Day at Sea" with no land in sight.
The seas are smooth today.

Later, in the afternoon, the skies are still perfectly clear.

There are plenty of activites inside the ship.
I would rather be right here watching the sea, doing some
reading, listening to some of my music, and
possibly spotting some interesting wildlife.




Next time: Anchorage

11 comments:

  1. Hello John, beautiful images from your cruise. I love the eagle and the cute bear statue. I like the photo of the old vessel, it must have many stories to tell. The seafood sounds delicious, I am sure very fresh too. The sunrise/sunset are gorgeous. Thanks so much for linking up your post. Happy Sunday, enjoy your day and new week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a kind comment. I thought about that old boat exactly like you said ... so many stories to tell. Thanks again for hosting on Saturday's Critters!

      Delete
  2. The weather looks perfect and I like those views. Your activities on deck would suit me too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was in the Arctic for three years I remember the beautiful skies. Your photos remind me of that time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Red, There is definitely a different look to the skies way up north. Blue sky days are pretty amazing! Thanks for your comments.

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous pictures. I enjoy seeing this all through your eyes and lens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, as always, Ruth, for your kind comments.

      Delete
  5. That looks like a big eagle! I love all your pictures, and the sunsets brought back memories of ones you have shown in earlier posts. Thank you for the entertaining post! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi DJan, Thank you so much for following along. I always appreciate your comments!

      Delete
  6. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    you enchanted my day with splendid images and charming sights my friend!

    you made my heart to wish to visit this area anyhow near in future :)

    Loved the awesome shots taken from deck genius in capturing the natural beauty John!!!!
    you really are g

    ReplyDelete

Questions, Compliments, and/or Suggestions: If you ask a question, please check back here, on the blog, for an answer within, usually, a day or two. Thank you in advance for compliments. I’ll try to keep an open mind about suggestions. All comments are moderated. Please note: Comments with active links will not be published. Comments with an inactive link are probably okay.

Picturesque Scenery - 1910

Souvenir Folder - Picturesque Scenery Souvenir Folder Picturesque Scenery along the line of Great Northern Railroad, Montana, Idaho, and Was...