Saturday, November 17, 2018

Santa Catalina Island

Fall Coastal Cruise 2018
Catalina Island - October 26th


Just before sunrise and I've already enjoyed a couple of cups of coffee in Lido. Stepped out on Deck 10 (one above Lido) to snap the view above. I love this time of day on cruise ships when you can be out on deck like this and it almost seems like this is your own personal super yacht. No other cruisers in view. It turned out to be a great day and how it unfolded is journaled below. 

Aboard MS Eurodam, October 26, 2018  6:23 AM
A few minutes after sunrise and before anchoring off Catalina Island.

Early Morning view of Santa Catalina Island
from MS Eurodam at anchor.
October 26th ... Clear skies and warm!

Tenders are getting ready.
For anyone not into cruising ... When ships are too large to dock at a port, small boats known as tenders ferry passengers to and from the port. The ship stays anchored in deeper waters and the tender ride usually takes just a few minutes.

I'm on the first tender to the Island.
Avalon center before the crowds arrive.

Taking the "Garden to Sky Trail" from the Wrigley Memorial.
Looking back at our ship in the harbor.

Zoomed in.
Not smoke, but haze!

Walked through Wrigley Botanical Garden

Colorful flowers all around Avalon

Don't rent a car ... rent a golf cart.
Preferred method of getting around on the Island.

Go for a submarine ride if you wish.
On this cruise I had an excellent room Steward named Wayan. Not only did he keep the room in great shape (despite my clutter) he also made a cool towel critter for me each night which was waiting for me in my room when I returned from dinner. I liked them all but the one below was my favorite ... Not sure, but possibly a Brachiosaurus. :-)

Brachiosaurus?
Check out more critters at
Saturday's Critters and, thanks to Eileen for hosting.

Port side tender stop.

Aboard tender enroute back to the ship.

Approaching tender docks at ship.

Platforms fold out from the ship.

One last look back at the Island.
This particular area is known as Hamilton Cove.
Want to vacation here? Hamilton Cove Vacation Rentals
Previously, in this series of posts ...
Vancouver
Astoria
San Diego
San Francisco
San Pedro/Los Angeles

Thanks for stopping by John's Island.

16 comments:

  1. The towel critters are always fun. This is a unique island, I have always taken the ferry from Long Beach

    ReplyDelete
  2. So gorgeous!

    Had to smile... In the old days talented sculptors worked in cathedrals and on city colonnades. In modern times, they are employed at hotels to make creative towel animals to welcome weary travelers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Catalina Island is a pretty place. I have taken the ferry there just for a day, years ago. I wish I had more time to sight see there. I like your cute towel animal. The sunrise was beautiful from the deck. Great post and photos. Thanks for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your day and weekend! PS, thanks for the comment and visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I have that song bouncing around in my head about "Santa Catalina the island of romance." Your boat looks huge next to the tenders on the side. It does look like a simply marvelous day. Thank you for sharing it with me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How beautiful! I like that towel creation too and all of your neat photos of the ships! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’d love to go on a cruise. It looks magical.

    ReplyDelete
  7. John youwere having a wonderful time on that cruise, love the towel critter

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous photos. I like how you show views that many people don’t think to capture. Those early morning shots are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You give us a very descriptive account of cruising.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We had the wonderful opportunity to do this as well! Loved your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now, that looks like a sweet thing to do!
    (ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE cruising. Thanks for sharing your trip with us

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful photos of your cruise.
    The one cruise we were on we had to go to shore on one of those tenders.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous shots - I like the light you've captured.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I came over here fro, DJan ... because I'm familiar with John's Island, SC. Thought you might be from there. But instead, I got this pleasant surprise. Great photos. And you might just inspire me to make a trip to Catalina one of these days.

    ReplyDelete

Questions, Compliments, and/or Suggestions: If you ask a question, please check back here, on the blog, for an answer within, usually, a day or two. Thank you in advance for compliments. I’ll try to keep an open mind about suggestions. All comments are moderated. Please note: Comments with active links will not be published. Comments with an inactive link are probably okay.

For Critter Friends

  A Post for My Critter Friends Have you discovered the trove of treasures within YouTube? In my journey of exploration through the digita...