Saturday, November 4, 2023

It's About Time

I asked AI a question:

How often do people think about the fact that they are on something that spins (the Earth) and it takes 23 hours, 56 minutes, and 4 seconds to make one full rotation on its axis?

The answer AI delivered:

“The frequency with which people think about the Earth's rotation and its size varies greatly from person to person and depends on a multitude of factors, including their interests, education, and daily life experiences. Some people may rarely think about these scientific facts, while others, especially those with a strong interest in science, astronomy, or geography, may contemplate them more frequently.

For many people, the Earth's rotation is taken for granted as a fundamental aspect of our existence, and they may not consciously think about it on a daily basis. However, events such as eclipses, astronomical phenomena, or discussions related to geography or space exploration may prompt individuals to consider the Earth's rotation and its significance.

Overall, awareness of these scientific facts can vary widely, and it's not something that occupies the thoughts of most people on a regular basis, as day-to-day life tends to focus on more immediate concerns and activities.”

You know, we humans have been thinking about time for a long time. About 2500 BCE, we used a bunch of rocks to create something that would help us know the time. That thing we created is known as Stonehenge.


More recently, we used our intelligence to figure out how to create clocks to help us keep track of time, and then, in a moment of brilliance, we realized we could trick ourselves by changing the clocks so the days seem longer. We call it “daylight saving time.” Of course, no time is really saved as what has past, has past, and it is gone forever.

Tonight, many of us will have the opportunity to “turn time back” as we change our clocks to end our attempt at “daylight saving.” Be aware, your clocks may need to be changed.  😊




16 comments:

  1. ...I'm one of the 4 in 10 who like DLST, I've always been an outlier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I always threaten to move to Arizona where they don't change the clocks, ")

      Delete
  2. Hello John
    I would be happy if we stopped changing the clock, it seems to affect my sleep or lack of sleep. Take care, have a great day and happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed today 's topic thoroughly dear John
    I am among those who often, No, most often think about natural phenomenal and how earth ,moon and sun are moving at this very moment. Even more sometimes I feel I can see things happening in the world at same time. This 8s amazing feeling which connects me to all and everything around seen or unseen and it is really fulfilling feeling.

    I wish for world where people are more interested in nature and it's wonders rather than stupid meaningless things that never bring them peace of mind but more desperation.
    There is no peace for those who forget their origin.
    Blessings to you and loved ones

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn’t mind if the clocks didn’t fall back tonight. We can only hope!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will contemplate my "extra hour" when I wake up tomorrow at the usual time, but it will say something different than my internal clock, for about a week. And then I'll be adjusted. Good question for AI today, John.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Will be nice to walk in the daylight for a while in the early morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was a neat ending. I didn't see it coming.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd be happy to leave the clocks alone. But at least I no longer have dogs needing out who can't tell the clock time, just their own time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And then, in the warm cocoon of retirement, time doesn’t matter that much anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know it's just a number on the clock but it does seem to bother me some. I don't know when to eat! hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here in the UK we changed our clocks last weekend ...
    At least with this time change we get an extra hour in bed :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just go with the flow and get back on track whenever I get back on track!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello John :=)
    I would say that A 1 is spot on with the answer. I seldom think about it but just recently after having a bath a fly fell in the water, I was already out of the bath and dressed by then, when I saw it. Not feeling too well on that day I didn't attempt to empty the bath water. On the second day when I went to empty the bath I noticed the fly had moved from where it had fallen and was on the other side of the bath water. Seeing as it was already dead, I began to think why this should be, then it dawned on me that the earth is moving, and it could never have stayed in the same place. As for the time change, I don't mind at all, I sleep well just as before.
    All the best John
    Sonjia.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The only time I think about time is when I have an appointment, otherwise a day is when the sun rises and the sun sets. Isn't retirement wonderful! Personally I would like it to be daylight savings time 12 months of the year. Who says the creators of clocks even got it right to begin with.

    I think in my mind, two doors back from yesterday, that I'm always conscious of the Earth's rotation, especially since I garden. All the information collected on the space travels to all the planets, has changed how I feel about someone out there taking care of me, but that's another topic, isn't it.

    Hope you enjoy your one hour earlier walks :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. And every year we have the same kerfuffle about the time change, and people beating their breasts and whining in agony. It’s one hour folks. You went to bed an hour later! Get over it!

    ReplyDelete

Questions, Compliments, and/or Suggestions: If you ask a question, please check back here, on the blog, for an answer within, usually, a day or two. Thank you in advance for compliments. I’ll try to keep an open mind about suggestions. All comments are moderated. Please note: Comments with active links will not be published. Comments with an inactive link are probably okay.

Robbery

Robbery in Progress So tempting! [Click on images for larger view] Yummm! My neighbors recently hung a bird feeder in one of their trees. Th...