Monday, November 13, 2023

Lucky

November 13, 2023

I spotted a bird clinging to a utility pole about 200 feet from my window today and I wondered if it would remain in place long enough for me to get the camera and snap a picture. I do think I got lucky to get the capture below. The next step was to ID and using Google Lens it quickly showed up as a Northern Flicker. 


Later, as sunset approached, I noticed a hummer at my feeder. Again, I wondered if the little bird would remain in place long enough for me to grab the camera. And again, I got lucky. Surprisingly, the hummer stayed in place and kept feeding even as I got close. Near the end of the day their priority seems to be to drink as much as possible before settling somewhere to spend the night.

[Click on images for larger view.]

Later still, the sunset created a beautiful, colorful sky. That made the 3rd lucky photo of the day.



14 comments:

  1. Hello, John
    Beautiful captures of the Flicker and your sweet hummingbird. The sunset is stunning, beautiful colors. Take care, have a great day and happy week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Northern Flickers stick around Calgary for the winter. I like when they fly and you can see the red under their wings and even more so if the sun catches underneath the wings. I always try to capture a photo of that but no luck. Your three photos are charm-filled!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if it's lucky as much as it's talent! Good shots, in any event, John. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love flickers, and we have them locally. Beautiful birds, and there's a distinctive field mark when they fly away -- the flash of white feathers in the tail. I've never managed a picture of one, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great shots! We have Flickers in our neighbourhood and they have a distinctive call we have come to know. We haven’t been as lucky seeing hummers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you buy a lottery ticket.? We don't often get lucky to have the critters stay in place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow you got some great captures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely birds and a wonderful sunset.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello John :=)
      What a lucky shot! The Northern Flicker is one of my favourite Woodpeckers. It is a very beautiful bird with spec tacular markings. :=) Lovely hummer shot and sunset image.

      Delete
  9. Lovely photos of the birds, John.
    And what a gorgeous sunset!
    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Look at your great shots! Isn't it fun when shots come together like that?! Thank you for linking up and have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! The last photo, the sunset, truly looks like a gorgeous oil painting.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete

Questions, Compliments, and/or Suggestions: If you ask a question, please check back here, on the blog, for an answer within, usually, a day or two. Thank you in advance for compliments. I’ll try to keep an open mind about suggestions. All comments are moderated. Please note: Comments with active links will not be published. Comments with an inactive link are probably okay.

Robbery

Robbery in Progress So tempting! [Click on images for larger view] Yummm! My neighbors recently hung a bird feeder in one of their trees. Th...