Wednesday, November 1, 2023

Stamps and Plates - All 50 States

From John's Collection

Stamps - All 50 States - 2002

Greetings from America US Postage Stamps
In 2002 this sheet of stamps cost $18.50
(.37¢ x 50)
Available today on Amazon for $25


Enlargement to show detail

In 2002, the USPS issued the Greetings from America stamps.  This marked the first time a US postage stamp was issued on the same day in every state. The Greetings from America stamps are reminiscent of the large-letter postcards that vacationing tourists of the 1930s and 1940s sent back home.  In addition to the state name, each stamp contains images associated with that state.  The state bird, flower, tree, capital, and date of statehood appear on the back of the liner release paper.


For my home state ... Washington
(Info on back of stamp sheet ...)
Bird ... Willow Goldfinch
Flower ... Coast Rhododendron
Tree ...Western Hemlock
Capitol ... Olympia
Statehood ... November 11, 1889

Plates - All 50 States - 1940

Blotter issued 1940 by Park with Mark
All 50 States License Plates - 1940

(Enlargement to show detail)

Those were the days when it cost 10¢ to get your car washed while "parked with Mark." I'm still trying to figure out where Mark's parking garage was ... blotter says 1 block from Federal Reserve and 2 blocks from Baker Hotel. Anybody know?

For the youngsters out there ... Not sure what a "blotter" is?   A blotter is simply a textured, thick paper specifically made to quickly absorb excess ink. They were widely used in the days when fountain pens were the main instrument used in writing.

Some people think collecting ... anything ... is silly. They may be correct. One good thing about collecting is it gives me something to think about instead of the sad state of our world and country.

Closing thought ...

“Autumn is springtime in reverse.” – Terri Guillemets



14 comments:

  1. I bet I'm not the only reader who enlarged the image to see what my own state stamp looked like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's part of the human condition that we collect things. I can't think of anyone I know that doesn't collect something. Years ago the USPS issued a full sheet with birds and a friend sent it to me, but what happened to it I don't know. Now I am really sorry that I don't have it because I try to acquire new stamps depicting any aspect of nature - birds, mammals, wildflowers, trees, fishes etc - as a way of keeping an interesting collection of the way that nature has been promoted by different countries. So, if you have any unused stamps (shameless plea here!!) with nature as the topic, please send them to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello John, I like the Greetings from American stamp collection. I see Maryland picture is the Chesapeake Bay scene. The only collection I had from the states is my state quarter collection. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn’t agree more. We need something these days to distract us from the sad state of our world. Take care, John.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only collect photographs now, but I am always trying to complete sets of books (now on Kindle) -- getting every book by some author I love, so I guess that's kind of another virtual collection. We all definitely need things to keep our minds off the state of the world right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think most people collect something. Ken has collected license plates for years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Collecting license plates is a fairly popular collection type. some of the old garages had them nailed to the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it when people collect things. I collect matryoshkas, but when I was a child, I collected stamps, wrappers from Spanish oranges, stickers. My husband collected cigar bands. There was a huge cigar factory in our town :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love seeing all those different states. We are in the same one, and I sure enjoyed seeing those from other places I've lived before. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed seeing your collection of stamps and plates, John.
    I like to collect souvenirs from the places I have traveled.
    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice to see your collection John.

    Best wishes for the weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are wonderful collections. Collectors gather the necessary information as much as possible and take excellent actions. I know they are not random but keep consistency.
    Thanks for your comment on my post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello, John. What a lovely collection! I’m interested in the design of stamp of each state. Thanks for the enlargement. I have some commemorative stamps of my country. Thank you for your visit and leaving a comment. Have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love collecting some things. It's fun to search and learn about items like this. Thanks for sharing. I always want to do an internet search for even more. That's fun too! Collecting information! Enjoy your day! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete

Questions, Compliments, and/or Suggestions: If you ask a question, please check back here, on the blog, for an answer within, usually, a day or two. Thank you in advance for compliments. I’ll try to keep an open mind about suggestions. All comments are moderated. Please note: Comments with active links will not be published. Comments with an inactive link are probably okay.

Robbery

Robbery in Progress So tempting! [Click on images for larger view] Yummm! My neighbors recently hung a bird feeder in one of their trees. Th...