Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Dynamited Express Car


Here is an old postcard, mailed somewhere around 1910, featuring an Express Car that had been dynamited by the Kid Curry gang.  They got away with $80,000 (according to the printing on the card).  Let's have some fun and put that number into an inflation calculator on the web to see what it would be worth today.  Using this calculator and 1913 (it was the earliest year on the calculator) we found out it was a pretty nice haul:  $1,915,733.33.  Have you ever heard of the "Kid" Curry gang?

Thanks for stopping by John's Island.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post card John! I have never heard of the Kid Curry gang but they sure did get away with a huge haul. I wonder where the gang members ended up living and spending?

    Thank you too for the beautiful comment you left on my blog. It gave me a bit of a boost as I don't think of myself as a good writer at all. I often worry that my longer posts are quite boring, lol. I do read a lot and I do want to write a few books of my own some day. I've got to get started soon. Just a few more projects to get out of the way so I can feel "freer" to write.

    Take care John. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete

Questions, Compliments, and/or Suggestions: If you ask a question, please check back here, on the blog, for an answer within, usually, a day or two. Thank you in advance for compliments. I’ll try to keep an open mind about suggestions. All comments are moderated. Please note: Comments with active links will not be published. Comments with an inactive link are probably okay.

Sea Birds

Sea Birds Spotted Last weekend I spotted a couple of "sea birds" on my waterfront walk. I thought my birding friends would enjoy s...